What finish for dormer windows

FMS

I'm currently building a new house which is entirely clad in natural blue/grey limestone. My problem is that we have two dormer windows which I would ideally love to finish in the same stone. Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if it is, how is it done?

your dormers will be constructed out of timber carcass with plywood outerleaf. You could attach the cladding to this but you will have to make sure you can water seal it. I wouldnt do it if its simply going to be watersealed with silicone which is alot of peoples answer.

Thanks for the advice! I'm concerned that the ply wood will not be able to hold the weight of the stone, even though it will be cut quite thinly. Do I need a lintel for above the window? If so, will the ply wood be able to take this weight also?

With regard to watersealing, I'm not sure what our options are. I will have to look into that

the weight of the cladding will be taken by the wooden frame not the plywood. the brackets for the cladding will be attached onto the plywood at the points at which the timber carcass is behind. you may need more timber in the structure of the dormers but it should be a relativly small area and the weight should be ok. you shouldnt need a lintel over the window as there is little or no weight over head for a lintel to hold up.

I think your main broblen is protecting the timber from water in the long term and this si the only problem i can see.

Okay, that makes sense. Have you any advice on how to protect the timber from getting wet?

it depends on how the cladding system you are using is jointed together. If there is a gap between them and they simply butt each other you will have to coat the timber is some sort of asphalt/felt as water will always get in. the top and bottom can be done with lead so no problem there. Its really between cladding panels you might have a problem.

in my experience, a finish of slate on the dormer windows works quite well when complemented with stone.... its very durable too...

I had considered finishing the sides of the windows with slate but wasn't sure how the front of the windows would look with slate. I wanted to avoid using fascia as we are going with black. I have seen some finished with red brick but I am presuming that this will run into the same problems as the stone?

FMS

theres a new product out there that is a brick clad that overlaps each course...its a dry fix product that screws onto timber... for the life of me i cannot remember the name, but i will search it out for you.. it may be the answer for you.....

Back