what entitlements after self-employment

123dee

Hi
I've being paying Class S PRSI since 1993.I'm involved in a small business,but in the last few years it's not paying me with huge rents childcare.we're running at a loss.can i claim any benefits& how.my partner is class S too with a small income.Surely there's some financial support while i look for a job during school hours?

Re: what entitlments after self-employment

See here for a summary of PRSI Class S benefits:
CLASS S BENEFITS
  • Widow's or Widower's (Contributory) Pension
  • Orphan's (Contributory) Allowance
  • Old Age (Contributory) Pension
  • Maternity Benefit
  • Adoptive Benefit
  • Bereavement Grant
You can apply for means tested Unemployment Assistance. There may be other tax and welfare benefits to which you are entitled. Perhaps contacting your local might help clarify matters?

Re: what entitlments after self-employment

From family experience, sadly you are entitled to very little.

<< Moderator note: off topic rant removed. Please take that sort of thing to Letting Off Steam. >>

I know somebody who after running his own business for 30 years started to wind down and works now in a minimum wage job to make ends meet, it might be worth finding ways to wind things down and become an employee.

so because i've stood on my own 2 feet & after providing employment to others paying employers prsi etc i'm on my own??doesn't seem fair.it's no wonder people become disabled with nervous breakdowns , alcoholism etc-with all due respect they get looked after.

you should have robbed the tax man over the years and put a nest egg away,he robs you ,i was in your position and only for rent recieved i was in trouble,it seems to me that the people who contribute least to society get everything(single mothers who co-habit with the father )i personaly know 5 couples getting everything medical cards weekly money rent assistance and all the rest,ive reported them to the social but nothing has been done,you have to wonder who are the smart ones and who are the fools ! makes me sick

funlovin said:
(single mothers who co-habit with the father )i personaly know 5 couples getting everything medical cards weekly money rent assistance and all the rest

Your entitlement to benefits in Ireland is on the basis of your residency, means and your circumstances. The comments above are subjective, offensive and add nothing to the overall discussion about the entitlements of the OP to any income supports.

Benefits a person paying class S PRSI contributions may be entitled to include, Maternity and Adoptive Benefit, Widows or Widower's Contributory Pension, Orphans (Contributory) Allowance and the DSFA Bereavement Grant.

If you choose to terminate your business and return to the workforce, you may be entitled to claim an unemployment payment provided you seeking and available for work.

If you call into your local social welfare office, an Information Officer can go through your options.

Deciding to terminate a business is a major (and often, difficult) decision. Have considered going through your options with someone for advice? Your County Enterprise Board may be able to offer some advice and information. Numbers are in the phone book - or you could try an online search.

Back