What does trainers hanging from phone wire mean ?

Emiso

Bit of a strange question I know but in the area I work there are several estates that have a pair of trainers hanging from the wires between two telegraph wires.
Someone said it meant drugs for sale but someone else thought it was a gang symbol.

Does anyone know what it signifies ?

Depending on who you listen to :

Drugs for sales
Start of a gang area
Gang member who died
Gang member who was killed
Nothing at all

It means some yob with nothing better to do has tied a pair of shoes together and thrown them over the telephone wires.

Meant to mean drugs for sale but more realistically speaking it is as mathepac said where some yob just flung them over the wire!

Thanks Guys, I'd probably climb up and get them if they were Converse but they're always the cheap looking white ones !!!

Somebody rang into a radio show about that the other day and drugs for sale seems to be it.

Sometimes it does mean drugs for sale in the area - however, it's near to impossible to get them removed from the overhead wires. None of the companies (ESB, NTL, Eircom etc) would take responsibility for it being their wire - Dublin City Council's litter department also refused to take them down. A neighbour had a brain wave and rang up all the companies and told them he was going to snip the wire which ran from the corner of his house to another house across the street - one of the companies sent a van out that day to remove the "runners".

Bit of a strange question I know but in the area I work there are several estates that have a pair of trainers hanging from the wires between two telegraph wires.
Someone said it meant drugs for sale but someone else thought it was a gang symbol.

Does anyone know what it signifies ?

... someone had to walk home bare-footed...?

Could it not mean that a tight rope walker has come to earth with a thud?

Maybe the tightrope walker lost the “I bet you can’t do that with your laces tie together” bet?

Seen a program on TV about gangs in America and the runners put up like that meant a gang member from there died through gang war.RIP

I've a feeling this whole thing might have started as a joke.

Has anyone seen Wag the Dog? In the movie, this was a bizarre tribute, concocted by a spin doctor, to someone who was given the nickname 'old Shoe'

Makes more sense if you see the movie.

I thought it was from Wag the Dog as well.

I think it does have meaning. Its a meme. Someone saw it done somewhere (doesnt matter what the original meaning was) or saw it on tv, and then they did it, then the next person saw it and they did it, before we know it everyone will be at it and we'll all be walking around barefoot with trainers dangling above our heads at every turn.

Drugs for sale....

I heard this before but it's not exactly a "live" form of marketing or sales promotion.

What would happen, for example, if there was a shortage of drugs to sell or if the associated dealer decided to diversify into another form of business.

You can close a shop and take down the sign, but trying to remove a pair of runners from a telephone wire?

Back