What does kit car mean?

Ash 22

Changed car recently and on the registration cert under restrictions it says -vehicle assembled from a car kit- what does that mean ?

husband says a kit car is a car you build yourself, comes in kit form often to avoid importation tax as your importing a kit not a full car, nothing to worry about if youv bought a racing car or a vintage car, also could just mean parts came from a few different types of cars and put together to form an enhanced model. Hope this helps, others may enhance/contradict this info......

Its basically a car that has been built by a person who has bought all the parts from the manufacturer.

Good answer here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_car

There's an Irish club here - [broken link removed]

Caterham build cars in the UK like the 7 and the Super7 but they will also sell you all the parts you require at a discounted price and you can build it yourself or have someone who know what they are doing to build it for you.

This is a toyota corolla bought from a main dealer. Salesman said they sold this car initially first day and now the original owner has traded it in against a new car so who would actually have built this car then? Also do you need to let the insurance company know this?

@ Ash 22, this could be a mistake. I would seriously doubt that there are any Toyota Corolla's built from kit. I'd check with Revenue (Vehicle Registration Office) incase they made a mistake when issuing the new certificate of ownership.

Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division,
Department of Transport,
Shannon Town Centre,
Shannon,
Co. Clare.
Tel: +353 (0) 61 365 000
**Locall: 1890 411412
Fax: +353 (0)61 363 480

Thanks Ronan I'll do that. On back of car it says linea luna but the toyota book with car is just a general book and does'nt specify any model on it.

That would be normal also for most Manufacturers to supply a particular model (ie, glx, gt, sport, highline, linea luna....) but only supply a generic Corolla handbook. The Linea Luna refers to the trim level and not the actual mechanics of the car.

Back