What does/doesn't require Planning Permission?

FeuFollet

Do you know where I can find information about planning permission and where can I find generic information such as exemptions applicable to extensions in the back garden (extension or Shomera.ie-type), what are the different classes of exemptions etc.

High level is what I am looking for. For actual applications I would still resort to an architect.

Hi d2x2

The best place to get this info is on the Dept of Environment website. 3 Leaflets in .pdf format are published there which describe all kinds of exempted development (garage, conservatory, extension details etc). The leaflets are PL.5, PL.6 and PL.7. There are an awful lot of publications on the site but these are the ones you want, go to the Planning section and follow on from there.

Or contact the planning dept, of your local County Council they are surprisingly helpful.
Most of them have a website which lists this sort of info and you can download it or just ring and speak to someone.
At the rear it is 40 square metres which is exempted.

Bear in mind that a development is not exempt (even if within the exempt limits) if building it would contravene an existing planning permission. In high densiity developments, it is not unusual for the planning permission to stipulate that no further extension (including exempted development) shall take place on individual units without fresh grant of pp.

Anything useful here?
  • http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/wwdPlanDev?OpenDocument&Lang=en (DoE)
Check it out with your local authority too.

Back