What do you think of Life & Business Coaching

finbarr

Hi there,

I am just curious as to peoples opinions of Life & Business Coaching and Career Coaching has anyone ever used any such services and what do they think?
Hope This Forum is Okay to ask this?
Many Thanks Finbarr

I reckon that business is a license to print money for some people. I'm sure that there are genuine/good coaches out there but there are a lot of charlatans too. I'd be more inclined to, at least as a first step, attempt a DIY job. Buy some books or do some research on thinking logically/objectively (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy material can be useful) and see what you can do for yourself by analysing your own situation, goals, plans etc. If you do end up going to a life/business coach then at least you'll have some useful knowledge and introspection.

Thanks Clubman,

It's hard to know, I have been quoted €80 a session (1hr) and €250 by another why the difference? Will the €80 be crap or is the €250 a rip off?

Finbarr

These courses were very much in vogue quite a few years ago. At that time they were all run by Americans. I went on one through my company. They consisted of 'trust' exercises, (the one where you let yourself fall and trust the person behind to catch you). It was generally all about letting yourself (the ego) go. This was in order to free the mind so that one becomes more focussed and goal orientated. It involved one to one sessions with others in the group, where each told something about him/herself to the other person. There was more.... Some of it was good and new at the time. Would I have paid for it myself? No!

In truth the £80 is probably just as good as the £250 course. you might find that the former is a group session, while the latter is one on one. Clubman is right, even if you don't want to read a tome about cognitive therapy there are books out there like 'Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway', Cutting the Ties That Bind' etc. etc.

Most of these courses/books are very simplistic and really only tell you what you already know.

liteweight said:
if you don't want to read a tome about cognitive therapy there are books out there like 'Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway', Cutting the Ties That Bind' etc. etc.

they are not all tomes! There's a CBT for Dummies, which is quite good. Feel the Fear and other 'self-help' books tend to be a bit short on how to apply the details. They tend to feed a need to buy more 'self-help' books in the hope that eventually you get an answer. In the end of course you just feed the publishers' need for more income............

Back