What do you think of Cordless Laser Mice?

Becca

Just wanted to ask about mice...

Which is your preference, a cordless laser mouse or a corded laser mouse?

The only advantage of a cordless is obviously that it is cordless, though the disadvantage is that it has to be charged.

Just wondered if anyone had anything comments on which they prefer?

Was looking at this good quality cordless mouse...

If anyone wants to suggest any other corded or cordless laser mice...

Personally I'd prefer corded laser mice. The cordless use batteries I think so that's a no no for me. Battery prices add up after awhile, whereas the corded one is just a one off payment.

$99!!?!? I would certainly not spend that on a mouse! I prefer corded too for the same reasons as above. I bought a miniature one as part of a [broken link removed]recently and find it grand but some people might find it too small for continuous use.

Personally I'd prefer corded laser mice. The cordless use batteries I think so that's a no no for me. Battery prices add up after awhile, whereas the corded one is just a one off payment.
AFAIK cordless mice come with a docking station which charges the internal battery from the mains, so I don't think you have to purchase batteries.

$99!!?!? I would certainly not spend that on a mouse!
That's just a retail price. It's possible to purchase them, especially reconditioned ones on eBay at much lower cost.

AFAIK cordless mice come with a docking station which charges the internal battery from the mains, so I don't think you have to purchase batteries.

Fair enough!! and if you're impatient person like me? Or you're in a real hurry?

That's really what I'm wondering about. I know they are good in that they don't have a cord, but I'm a bit concerned about the charging of them!

I wonder how long they take to charge, or how much useage they provide from one charge.

I wonder how long they take to charge, or how much useage they provide from one charge.
Well i think you need to bear in mind that things nowadays are made to break. And the companies' main objective is to make profit not satisfy the customer. So it's hard to say.

Some do. Some don't and just use regular batteries (alkalines or rechargeables that need to be recharged separately). Cordless mice just don't seem like a "killer app" to me since you are most likely going to use the mouse in close proximity to the computer in question anyway so the slight inconvenience of cables doesn't seem that onerous and could be advantageous since the mouse will be powered from USB obviating the need for batteries.

If comparing a like-for-like mouse (same features) I wonder if a cordless mouse with a docking station uses any more electricity to use than a similar corded mouse?

Assuming the cordless mouse is only charged to the maximum capacity and not over charged therefore requiring additional electricity.

The amount of electricity involved is negligable in the grand scheme of things but remember that a cordless mouse has to transmit data wirelessly to the computer as well as using power for the same things as a corded mouse so I would expect the latter to win on power saving.

Also a cordless mouse is always using power even when the pc/laptop is switched off so if using regular batteries you mgiht find they run down very quickly if you're away for a few days! I have one for a couple of months now but will definitely scrap it for a usb mouse very soon once I get into the shops again!

I've noticed that mice are often listed as having varying dpi. Ranging between 800 dpi to 3200dpi.

I don't know what this dpi is.

Would it be relevant to someone who is not using the mouse/pc for games?

I have a logitech cordless laser mouse that I have just replaced with a corded laser mouse. The problems with the cordless:
- it needed to charge overnight and I felt guilty leaving it on while switching everything else off
- it suffered from interference from something (never figured out what) that resulted in it jumping over the screen - very annoying

A shame really, as it was a nice big chunky hunk of ergonomics and the corded one I have is a bit, well, pansy.

- it suffered from interference from something (never figured out what) that resulted in it jumping over the screen - very annoying
Could have been a driver problem. Or interference from other devices trasmitting on the same RF frequencies as the mouse. Or something else.

Anyone here used either of these mice?

Trust Laser Combi Mouse MI-6200

Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse

The Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse has what is described as a "zoom" feature which allows the user to instantly zoom in and out.

Is this feature actually beneficial, or a gimmick?

A decent wireless mouse will go into powersaving when its not being used and turn off. Theres obvious disadvantages and advantages with wired, wireless, rechargable and un rechargable batteries. All comes down to what your individual needs are.

Anyone here used either of these mice?

Trust Laser Combi Mouse MI-6200

Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse

The Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse has what is described as a "zoom" feature which allows the user to instantly zoom in and out.

Is this feature actually beneficial, or a gimmick?

For may laptop, I have been using a HP Bluetooth mouse which tucks away into the CardBus (PCMCIA) socket on my laptop when not in use.

It is neat enough, goes into powersaving mode after a few mins inactivity - you have to click the mouse to wake it up.

However, I am probably going to give up on it and go back to a wired mouse as (a) the feel of it is a bit off - it has a raised stand/foot thingy which makes it feel not very solid and (b) more importantly, it occasionally loses the Bluetooth connection to my PC and I have to reboot or *&%^ around with Bluetooth settings to bring it back, neither of which I have the time or energy to do.

Which is your preference, a cordless laser mouse or a corded laser mouse?

Just wondered if anyone had anything comments on which they prefer?

The one thats most comfortable in my hand. Some are too small, some are too big. Generally the less features the less hassle IMO. I like optical or laser mice as they are more accurate. Until recently I found wireless mice to laggy for acccurate work or games. That might not be a problem anymore. I like the idea of not having a cable to snag on other things on the desk. It looks neater too.

I've been using a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical for years as I like the medium size and it doesn't skip or lag. I use A Dell optical at work which is slightly less comfy but not too bad. My next mouse will probably be a wireless one with autopower saving, and a RF USB stick (that fits into the mouse) rather than a bulky dock. As I mainly use a laptop these days, and not always in the same location. I wouldn't pay more than €50 for one though.

I have been using a logitech keyboard/mouse package that I think has the MX400 mouse included.

Mouse works great, has a docking station for charging, all bluetooth conenctions and ergonomic-wise, is a great piece of kit.

Also came with a USB dongle for the laptop or whatever so you can just pick up the mouse with the lappie and use mouse with that while on the move.

Wasn't cheap mind you, but I do hate cheap, flimsy keyboards/mice, and as for cords..don't get me started. Try running a couple of PC's in tandem for software development and it all gets very messy under/on the desk.
Synergy helps though, once keyboard/mice/LCD kit for multiple PCs

Back