What do you do to target stress?

dmos87

My mind is constantly on the go with things to do or be done, planning, etc. and I can't switch off at the end of the day. Shaky hands are flaring up today :(

It got me wondering what others do to chill out at the end of their day? Any tips for me?

Other than change jobs, get a life and see a professional ;)

Gardening - nothing like stabbing a fork into muck or a slug to sort you out.:D

Fresh air, either a good walk or a potter in the garden

Sit my 3 year old up on my lap and let her tell me about her day. Whatever you're worried about won't seem so important when you are being told that Igglpiggle lost his blanket, or that Mammy was bold or that she saw Buzz Lightbulb on the telly

A good book. Turn the telly off, stick a CD on and put your feet up.

I also find cooking is great, made butternut squash and chilli soup yesterday as well as some lemon shortbread, good way of focussing your attention on something else

Lastly going to a match, fresh air, shout at the ref, opposition or your own players, definatley a great way to unwind

Agree with most of the suggestions here, walking, reading, cooking......also gym does it for me.

The hardest thing for people is to be actually able to switch off. I have seen some people who just can't do it. You may need to cut your hours, if you are one of those constantly doing extra hours and take control of your own life. I sometimes find it is not the job, it is the person, a stressy person would be stressed whatever they do.

Thats true MandaC. I am constantly overrun doing additional work and then the jobs at home build up too, so you cant win.

I'd give my left baby finger for a housekeeper for a week :)

Are you self-employed? Is there anyway you could delegate some jobs to others? Are there any young relatives/friends in your life who would do a bit of housework for you? (for a small payment or favour). Don't take any more additional work until you have cleared your desk, so to speak.
No matter how busy you are always give your self ten minutes everyday to just go into a darkened room, lie down, close your eyes, put on a relaxing cd and let your mind relax.
Make sure you get some fresh air and exercise and perhaps take a Vit B Complex supplement (sorry if thats rated medical advice).

Have a full-time job as well as 2 part-time jobs, a house to take care of, 2 dogs to walk, etc., a partner to try and spend time with around shifts, etc. etc. the list is endless. All three jobs are unsociable hours and my partner works nights in a pub so some weeks I struggle.

Have told work no.2 that I want August off to have some days to myself and they agreed so thats a good start.

re: young relatives helping out - I am young! only 23 :)

Can you afford a cleaner/someone to mow lawns etc? Just you mentioned you could do with a housekeeper for a week.

Then perhaps instead of feeling you have to clean/iron/mow or whatever else is on the list, you could go for a walk or indulge in a hobby or an evening class that you enjoy. You may also need to delegate some household/pet tasks to your partner or ask friends/family for help. Small steps help with stress levels.

My mind is constantly on the go with things to do or be done, planning, etc. and I can't switch off at the end of the day. Shaky hands are flaring up today :(

It got me wondering what others do to chill out at the end of their day? Any tips for me?

Other than change jobs, get a life and see a professional ;)

Running, perfect for relieving stress. Sign up for a run, get a training programme and off you go. First step is the hardest. Its very addictive. Does matter whether it's 1 mile, 5k, 10k, half-marathon, marathon etc etc. Some people listen to music when running. I personally like to think when I am running and if I dont want to think, I up the pace so that all I can concentrate on are breathing and running. And I dont mean running on a treadmill, leave that to mice - get outdoors, preferably away from urban areas, fresh air - you can run in any weather too, lovely feeling running in the rain.

One thing I learned years ago and seems to be obvious, but sometimes we forget the obvious. Do not let pressure of work get to you. When you clock out, sign off or whatever remember the job is behind you and leave it there until you resume next day.

The best way to calm the head down is to make a list and prioritise jobs. Once its on the list you should automatically feel calmer because at least you know it will be done at some stage and won't be forgotten. Remember not everything has to be done tomorrow which is the habit that a lot of stressy people get into.

If you can't sleep because your mind is too active keep a post-it pad and pen at the bedside and if something that you have to do is bothering you then write it down and it might help ease the stress.

Teatime, the running might be a good idea. I like listening to music when I can so combining the two could be nice.

I'm a bit OCD around the house and I only have myself to blame, but its hard to let go of my habits now. I iron everything. Literally every garment that is washed, right down to socks, tea towels, etc. My partner thinks its wierd but I feel funny wearing wrinkled clothes. Its just so time consuming. Because I work so much, by the time I settle in to iron the pile is enormous and I can kiss at least 3 hours of my free time goodbye.

My partner is very good at helping and does the "yuck" jobs that I can't stomach. The man can't iron to save his life so delegating that is out of the Q ;) But he's good. He just doesn't see the dirt that I do, does that make sense? He's happy to sit in an untidy room but I can't.

I rarely watch TV (and always mute the ads). Regularly have a bottle of beer before my dinner. Periodically get out for a mountain walk. Very little stress. You should try to knock the ironing on the head. Very few things need ironed if you shake them out before hanging them on the line and fold them properly afterwards (or after taking them out of the dryer).

Regarding lists, its nice to see things getting ticked off and you also realise that the workload isn't insurmountable at all.
I don't have a natural inclination to go for walks, but when I do with my OH i find we talk an awful lot more than we would in the house and it always is refreshing. My fall back for stress mangt has always been sport though.

I go to bed early and listen to music on the MP3 for a couple of hours.

Other than that walking the dog seems to help, never been one for going for walks but since getting the dog I find I am walking probably an extra 90 minutes each day which gives me the time to clear my head.

Music and sex - preferably at the same time - are the best destressers ever. :)

Other than that dmos87, stand back a little from the situation and just ask yourself: "If I don't do this right this minute, what's the worst that can happen?"

Perspective.

Music - this is where i heal my hurt,its in the world i become, contained in the hum between voice and drum, its in the change, the poetic justice of cause and effect, its in minor keys, solutions and remedies.....when bitterness ends.........

Teatime, the running might be a good idea. I like listening to music when I can so combining the two could be nice.

I'm a bit OCD around the house and I only have myself to blame, but its hard to let go of my habits now. I iron everything. Literally every garment that is washed, right down to socks, tea towels, etc. My partner thinks its wierd but I feel funny wearing wrinkled clothes. Its just so time consuming. Because I work so much, by the time I settle in to iron the pile is enormous and I can kiss at least 3 hours of my free time goodbye.

My partner is very good at helping and does the "yuck" jobs that I can't stomach. The man can't iron to save his life so delegating that is out of the Q ;) But he's good. He just doesn't see the dirt that I do, does that make sense? He's happy to sit in an untidy room but I can't.

I dont think any man sees the dirt a woman does, I know exactly how you feel , being very ocd myself and constantly wound up. I do find though that some days you need to just say to hell with it all and do absultely nothing or you run the fear of wearing yourself out completely

Try walking or cycling to/from work, and make your journey home a real physical test - going as fast and as hard as you can. For me, this provides a great seperation between work life and home life. On the few days where I drive or get a lift home (i.e .no physical exercise), I notice that I am often still in 'work mode' at home, e.g. 'what is the three year cost saving plan for that new dress you've bought, my dear'.

Back