What do we (really really) need to print...

We're gonna need a bigger printer building.

Wait, isn't this the end plot of The Iliad?

Who is going to pay this 1.4 m mistake. And they are the people who run , or should i say ruin, the country.

Assuming that they did actually need a printer that costs 800k, there was 236k needlessly spend on building works. There are families out there who have nothing for Christmas. 236k divided into 500 Euro lots would provide 472 families with a decent Christmas :confused:

There was a Printer business owner on the radio earlier who has a similar but slightly older printer. To make it pay for itself, he said he has to have it operating for most of the working day, every day.
I'd hazard a guess that this printer in the Dail will have a few busy periods around elections, calendar printing season etc but for most of the year will sit idle.

And while they are waiting for the 1.4m printer to start work they are using the other one . I wonder how much did that one cost . What a pure waste of money and as Firefly said with all the people who have nothing for Christmas. It just goes to show they do not give a damn about anything or anyone.

There was a Printer business owner on the radio earlier who has a similar but slightly older printer. To make it pay for itself, he said he has to have it operating for most of the working day, every day.
I'd hazard a guess that this printer in the Dail will have a few busy periods around elections, calendar printing season etc but for most of the year will sit idle.
I talked to a guy who sold printers to the Dail 20 years ago. It was used to print copies of the budget as well as legislation etc. He said that the Staff used to deliberately break it as it was so much faster that it wiped out the need for overtime and so hit their pockets.

This only became an issue due to "... Dáil clerk, Peter Finnegan opened an investigation into the costs after members of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) voiced concerns."
Who signed off on this ? I can not fathom that someone thought that this was a great idea ! Putting aside the storage cost & refurbishment costs associated with this, who signed off on this printer!

Who is going to pay this 1.4 m mistake

We all know the answer to that ... :mad:

The money spent on installing the printer was always going to have to be spent to do so. So this is not an overspend as such, just awful planning and forecasting and it looks like no one thought how they were going to install a machine of this size into a room in the middle of an old building and what would be needed to install. Gross incompetence in my view.

I presume they need a printer this size to do quick bulk prints so the Houses are not delayed waiting for thousands of pages of documents to be printed and shareed both to TDs/Seanators but also govt staff and reporters. Why they could not in this day and age issue these electronically (restricted sharepoint for example) and print later is beyond me

In other words , what was wrong with the other one . I see now that they will need a fork- lift to lift it . If so will they be able to get the fork-lift into the room? I also see now that the cost is now 1.8m ....
I have just realized who supplied the printer......Del Boy.... you know it makes sense :D:D

Last edited:
In other words , what was wrong with the other one . I see now that they will need a fork- lift to lift it . If so will they be able to get the fork-lift into the room? I also see now that the cost is now 1.8m ....
I have just realized who supplied the printer......Del Boy.... you know it makes sense :D:D
They can use a pallet truck to load the paper. There's no need for a forklift.

I think whichever is the most expensive will be used , after all we are all paying for it , like all the other mistakes..

Back