What do the AA/RAC actually do ?

zag

I was listening to an ad on the radio for the AA the other day and was struck by their statistic that they fix (I think 'fix' was the word they used) 80% of cars they are called to.

This started me thinking.

I am a member of the AA and have had reason to call them out at least once a year for the last few years. They have proven invaluable since the car had major problems which required towing to the (relatively) nearby dealer. I understand that calling out a tow company can cost quite a bit, and from the labour and time element I can understand this. Simply to get the zag family off the side of the M50 on a scorching hot Sunday it is worth the annual subscription.

What I was thinking about was what problems can the AA actually fix on the roadside these days ? They have certainly filled up the water when the engine overheated and boiled it all off, but they weren't about to fill it up with oil when it transpired there wasn't a drop of oil in it (hence the overheating followed by weeks being patched up). I'm not complaining that they didn't install a new engine on the roadside there and then, but I am wondering what repairs they do carry out ?

Every time I call them I am asked what the problem is and feel a bit sheepish saying . . . "Well it's broken, isn't it ?" since I'm not a car person I can't exactly describe the problem to them.

z

Hi Zag,

This should give a clear indication (admit I have not read it).

I would always feel that roadside recovery is worth its weight in gold. Its not until the car breaks down and you have let the renewal pass that you will then appreciate it :D

Don't they also provide cover for a friends/relatives car if you as an AA member are travelling in same.

Yep, they provide cover for the driver and not the car so if you are in a friends car and it breaks down they will come out. I got in trouble with them before for this - car started steaming, managed to get it to my sisters house, called AA, had to leave to go to work while my sister waited for them to arrive. They were not impressed when I wasn't there (but my sister with keys and problem description was) when they arrived. Fair dues, they patched it up anyway.

I had a look at the link and it seems to cover what they don't cover (like the cost of oil, petrol, etc . . .), but I didn't see a concise description of what they do cover.

I certainly do appreciate them when they do come out, and I'm not trying to knock them at all. I am just wondering what they can actually fix these days, or in other words what people on the board have had fixed by the AA/RAC.

z

I had to call them out twice because I locked my keys in the car.

My car was stolen on another occasion and dumped in Naas. They arranged for a local mechanic to come out on the Sunday morning before Christmas and start it (with a screwdriver) and I was able to take it home.

I have no idea of how I would have got the car home without them.

Murt

The vast majority of breakdown callouts are for minor things such as .......
Car won't start (Flat battery), punctures, ran out of petrol, locked out of car.

I've called them out twice, both fixed on the spot. First was a flooded engine, hadn't a clue what to do. Second was where a battery connector had rusted through and needed to be replaced. Absolutely agree about the worth their weight in gold comment, both of those were simple small little fixes that would have led to endless hassle if I hadn't been a member.

Eagle Star (and possibly some other insurers) offer free roadside assistance as part of their motor insurance policies - at least on some of them.

Ubitquitous is right.

We've had to use this twice in the past 18 months (once in NI). Towed both times. Fortunately, we have roadside cover on our policy. Just call a freefone number, central switch operator contacts local breakdown service in your area. Both times we had someone out in under 20 mins. Doesn't appear to load the policy either, compared to various quotes I've had from same and other providers.

Wouldn't knock the AA, just be wary you're not paying unneccessarily.

When my car broke down in Ireland (I was a UK resident at the time) my ***** cover picked both me and my little boy up from the roadside and brought us home to my mums house. The next day he picked us up from my mums house, went to his house (where my broken down car was on his lorry) and then to the boat in Rosslare. The car was towed on board by a tractor and when we got to fishguard a lorry came on board and put the Mondeo on the back. He took us to St. Clears and the AA then got involved and took us to Chievely services on the M4 where another AA truck towed us to Milton Keynes (home).
Whilst out of 5 movements were only 2 were AA (the other 3 were subbed) I cannot fault the service in any way and as insurances go (cos that what it is) this is one where there is little small print.

AA rock!

how much does it cost to be a member for the year? i am thinking of joining as i havent a clue about cars and im dreading sum day i get a puncture or i break down are they in ireland? just to weeks ago i ran out of petrol on the m50 luckily a friend brought me some!

ubiquitous said:
Eagle Star (and possibly some other insurers) offer free roadside assistance as part of their motor insurance policies - at least on some of them.

Would this cover you if you're battery goes dead outside your residence?
I know that it's extra under AA cover (have to take Homestart). I guess it's down to the policy in question.

Back