What do people make of skerries as a place to live?

Karencc

Just wondering what people make of skerries as a place to live? Friend is looking at south strand in particular. She considers it "posh" but I'm not sure?

I have seen sand bags at some entrances, so could be prone to flooding at certain times of the year. I am not an expert but it might be worth checking out.

I live approx. 3 km from Skerries town, so know a little about it. Overall, it's considered a very desirable place to live, certainly in this part of North Dublin.
Within Skerries the South Strand area is very much sought after - due to it's proximity to the sea. There is a good mix of older 1920's and 1930's housing there as well as some new apts.
It's not desirable in the conventional sense ie wide tree lined avenues, with large period redbricks. However, it is very close to the sea and has nice bars and restaurants, which give it a very nice feel. Even though there was some building done in that part of the town during the Celtic Tiger it wasn't ruined by it.
If I could afford it, I would love a home there. The only downside is that during the summer, especially on the weekends when the weather is nice, a lot of day trippers come out to Skerries and parking can be an issue.
I have never heard of flooding being an issue in the 4 years that I have been here, that's not the say it won't happen.

I wouldn't describe it as 'posh' for a minute, although it does contain a broad mix of families, as would any town its size.

South Strand would certainly be one of the most sought after areas although the nearer you get to the amusement arcade end of the strand, the less desirable a house would be IMO.

There's a very strong community ethos in the town and certainly one of the best places to live and bring up a family in Dublin.

I was going to post in here about Skerries as I've been staying out here for the last fyear in a mates place. I really like the area although had noticed that it seemed to be getting rougher in the last few months. Some dodgy looking people hanging about. Then this morning I wake up to hear about this http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...mortem-results-after-skerries-death-1.1595997. Hopefully it doesn't go downhill here but I am a lot more vigilant in the area these days.

Hi
I agree with a lot of what is said above - I know the area for over 30 plus years. however flooding is an issue in south strand - I have relatives and friends there - they have sandbags and have their own contingency plans but it does and has happened - make sure you get a surveyor to check the property out properly for prior flood damage. Parking and summer trippers make it a very busy place on the rare occasions that its sunny! One other thing - I recently looked at an apartment there for a relative at the opposite end to amusements slots and despite being a penthouse it had been substantially water damaged due to failing window seals on all front windows - apparently facing the sea anywhere can cause issues - so get the windows checked! All in all Skerries is lovely place it is changing though but so is everywhere - its totally different in summer as amusements etc draw in a lot of visitors but if you get the right house in right location and are happy about protection from the flooding in place go for it. beware a lot of apartments were bought by developers and have a lot of tenants passing through eg google the amount of apts sold in holmpatrick over last two years. if its an apartment they would like I wouldn't rule out the other side of town called Sanderlings/Kittiwake etc which I personally think the apartments are way better quality with build then what Ive seen on South Strand but its all personal choice really. But if its a house - then there are some really nice ones around South Strand area - I would live there if I could!

Back