What do AAMers think WILL happen in the coming months

In my opinion, if the German banks were stupid enough to lend to Seanie and co, then they should get burned. Our Government should take a stand on this issue and say that the Irish taxpayer will not carry the can for wreakless Germans.
I fully agree with you. A abilout does not solve Ireland's problems. Ireland's problem is that it is saddled with too much debt. A bailout does nothing to reduce that unmanageable load. Default is the only sensible thing to do.

Yes the EU contributed by having lower interest rates than were appropriate for us. But guess what, we didn't join the Euro over night! Politicians and civil servants debated this point for 10 years! The decision was made to go in, then our entire goverment and beaurocracy got drunk and ran our country with a skill more apropriate to Mugabe than a civilised nation.
You hit the nail on the head there, but it could be interpreted as an insult to Mugabe ;-)

How will we ever have a better government when we don’t have a politically educated electorate? We don’t even teach civics in school. We don’t teach our kids about the constitution and where executive power resides or what the function of the different houses of the Oireachtas are. We don’t teach them what their duties are as citizens or what the President does or where the Supreme Court fits into things. Then the tin hat on top of all that is our stupid electoral system and our stupid (non)separation of powers between the executive and the legislature. How the hell can we expect anything other than the bunch of parochial glorified county councillors that we have running the country now?

How will we ever have a better government when we don’t have a politically educated electorate? We don’t even teach civics in school. We don’t teach our kids about the constitution and where executive power resides or what the function of the different houses of the Oireachtas are. We don’t teach them what their duties are as citizens or what the President does or where the Supreme Court fits into things. Then the tin hat on top of all that is our stupid electoral system and our stupid (non)separation of powers between the executive and the legislature. How the hell can we expect anything other than the bunch of parochial glorified county councillors that we have running the country now?

Fully agree. And also with Chris. We will default eventually.

I suspect the Department of Education would not agree with the above.

Curriculum:

Source: cspe.slss.ie

Marion

Whether we get a bailout from the EU/IMF or not there will have to be cuts and emigration. There are no two ways about this. We spend more than we take in. This is the fault of the people who overspent and who voted in those who promised everything and delivered nothing while bankrupting the country.

I don't get all this nationalistic jargon at this point in time. We corrupted ourselves. Nobody else is at fault here. Until we learn to grow up and elect those who will govern properly and not for their own vested interests nothing will change. That won't happen unless we have someone of vision who will change the whole establishment and the way it works, that is parliament, lower and upper house, legal system etc. But for that we need a people that are behind a fundamental change in the structure of Irish society. And if a revolution is needed for that so be it.

Meanwhile, in case there is no revolution, we need to get real and be prepared to deal with spending cuts, higher taxes and emigration. The positives are that we have done it before, we've come through worse recessions and if everyone does their bit there is no reason why we cannot become a stronger better nation. I for one am not proud of the celtic tiger generation and the sooner we leave it behind the better.

Well put, I'd agree with most of that. And overuse of nationalistic jargon is looking at things though rose tinted glasses, as we've long since been trading our sovereignty off as a quid pro quo since joining the eu, and have benefited handsomely from it too. However on the other hand, I wouldn't like to let this gov off the hook in any way by minimizing the significance of what they've brought upon us. Yes, people voted them in, but that didn't give them the right to bankrupt the country after their election by taking one irresponsible decision after another since Sept 08. And although cuts must come, they will almost certainly be even more drastic on the most vulnerable among us under the IMF/EU bailout scheme than the originally planned gov cuts would have been. And we're just going to have to stand by and watch while these faceless & unelected guests which the gov have "invited" into our country go about pursuing their own agenda...Grrr!

Anyway, back to being constructive, you are totally correct that until we as a people have a fundamental change in our attitudes to how politics should function in this country into the future then nothing will change. However, will this really happen?..because history has that bad habit of repeating itself, and how often do you hear people say "yeah, give it a few years and all this will be forgotten and FF will be back in again", and you despair, because you know deep down how plausible that statement is? And look at the "opposition" and tell me the difference between FF & FG, my god they were crying out for even more splurge during the boom, and their proposals for cuts etc going forward are identical to FF. The only thing that's going to be different this time around which might kick-start a new political awareness, is that people should be much less apathetic because EVERYONE is going to bear the brunt of our political mismanagement BIG TIME, for many years to come. And there's nothing better for focusing the mind ..."Floggings shall continue until moral has improved!"

One final point, many people share the positive attitude as yourself, that we've been in recessions before and we've gotten out of them and we'll get out of this one too. But, we never had levels of personal debt back in the 80's as we have now which is really going to stifle consumption going forward, and we rode on the back of a world wide recovery back then too which is not there to help us this time around. Add to this the never ending saga of the ever-increasing bank bail-out costs plus further bail-out fund debt and the question is, how and in what shape will we come out of this one? The total debt (+ interest) will not be humanly possible to pay back, the numbers don't add up, and so it is therefore in Ireland's best interests that debt restructuring with bond-holders & ECB should happen now and not later when we are bled dry. The EU (and our gov) know that this debt is unpayable and that re-structuring must eventually happen at some point in the future. However, to calm other eu members' bond market spreads now, to "safeguard the euro", to get as much money back for other EU banks/bondholders & the ECB first, we are to be the sacrificial lamb on the alter of the greater eu good. The ECB is the lender of last resort to banks and is solely responsible for it's lending practices, and if they irresponsibly lent good eu taxpayers money out to insolvent irish banks, they should be held accountable for same, not the Irish people! It is again so disgustingly sad that our gov appears to be towing the eu line to the detriment of their own people, by accepting even more sovereign debt, which we will then give to our banks, who will then give it back to the ECB. Crazy!

I suspect the Department of Education would not agree with the above.

Curriculum:

Source: cspe.slss.ie

Marion

Fair enough Marion, I'm happy to stand corrected. I hope when these students are older and running the country they do a better job than this lot.

Totally agree with you onekeano. The decisons have already been made and what you have outlined above is the most likely result. They simply aren't telling us yet and it might be quite some time for them to finally do so.

There is a strong need for us all to ensure whatever money goes into the banks from the EU is not considered to be an Irish debt but instead is regarded as a Bank to Bank loan. We as a people have wasted enough money on these black holes that we still call Banks.

+1 guys, nice posts!

in my opinion, if the german banks were stupid enough to lend to seanie and co, then they should get burned. Our government should take a stand on this issue and say that the irish taxpayer will not carry the can for wreakless germans.

While at early stages in this crisis, the impression was given that anglo is systemic to the irish bank system. This appears to have been incorrect. Its becoming increasingly clear that anglo was a bank that got money from german pensioners and lend it out to builders for overpriced crazy landmark schemes in london - hence why the uk government has suddenly started announcing that it is willing to contribute to a bail out.

If we dont dance to the eu tune, german pensions and the london property market are toast. Germans and uk are trying to call the shots to protect themselves. We should cut anglo lose and tell them to sort their own mess out.

+1

No matter how educated and informed the electorate is, the people will always vote for the politicians that they think will be for their immeadiate benefit. In power the government will then be under constant pressure from unions and pressure groups demanding ever increasing benefits and perks. It got to the stage where the louder the demands the more was given and so people felt that the way to get more was to demand more.The politicians couldn`t resist...after all they were getting huge salaries too and were very popular. Who cared about the banks or the public finances. When the sh*t hit the fan they would have their money made and if in opposition so what.
2 years ago they knew what had to be done but didn`t want to lose face. Let anglo go and reduce all public monies....salaries, welfare and capital expenditure by at least10%.
I have heard that public servants have not yet suffered a reduction in their net pay.
Even now the gov. clearly can`t wait to get into opposition to oppose the inevitable cuts.
In government they are holding out in implementing any austerity to the point that the IMF has to be called in.
I am sorry to say it but we need a strong man to take charge. Someone who will sort out our finances without fear or favour.

We could have a system where we elect local government to look after local issues, and a seperate system where we elect 12 ministers to run the country for five years. Remove the dail. It's just a farce anyways. We could leave a reformed senate in place as a system-check.

Well the croke part agreement means no cuts in pay. There was the pension levy ,thats true.
My point is the government knew the scale of our problems 2 years ago and cuts should have started from that date.Instead the exact opposite was done with the croke park agreement.It is quite clear that the government is very resistant to cuts to well paid public servants.It will have less problems hitting the easy targets like cuts to frontline services. By the way I am opposed to job cuts and in favor of job sharing .
Take the case of the health service where the government wants a 30 % cut....yet 70 % of the health budget consists of wages and salaries, some of them on very large salaries .

the case of the health service where the government wants a 30 % cut....yet 70 % of the health budget consists of wages and salaries.

People keep quoting the 70% figure as if it's evidence of some kind of problem. Health services are labour intensive. That's the nature of the business.

Well the croke part agreement means no cuts in pay. There was the pension levy ,thats true.
My point is the government knew the scale of our problems 2 years ago and cuts should have started from that date.Instead the exact opposite was done with the croke park agreement.It is quite clear that the government is very resistant to cuts to well paid public servants.It will have less problems hitting the easy targets like cuts to frontline services. By the way I am opposed to job cuts and in favor of job sharing .
Take the case of the health service where the government wants a 30 % cut....yet 70 % of the health budget consists of wages and salaries, some of them on very large salaries .

So you found the pension levy. What about the paycut? If your going to make statements at least let them be true..

My point is the government knew the scale of our problems 2 years ago and cuts should have started from that date.Instead the exact opposite was done withi the croke park agreement.It is quite clear that the government is very resistant to cuts to well paid public servants.It will have less problems hitting the easy targets like cuts to frontline services. By the way I am opposed to job cuts and in favor of job sharing .

I have been in the HSE 20 years and pay was always circa 70% of the budget, it's nothing new. I'm surprised it isn't more what with all the Asst National Directors, extra functional officers etc we got since 2005.

My net pay is down €100 or so euro a week since all the levies. I have got one increment since then which almost brought me back to Dec 2009 rates before pay cut in Jan 2010.

People keep quoting the 70% figure as if it's evidence of some kind of problem. Health services are labour intensive. That's the nature of the business.

My point is and I think it is fairly obvious is simply how can a huge cut be made to the health service and yet the 70 % of the health service budget that consists of wages and salaries cannot be touched.
I don`t consider the pension levy as a pay cut...it was a perk that is now being paid for. The fact is that public sector salaries are much higher here than our european competitors and all financed by borrowing and they must be at a realistic level to protect jobs and services.

r the pension levy as a pay cut...it was a perk that is now being paid for. The fact is that public sector salaries are much higher here than our european competitors and all financed by borrowing and they must be at a realistic level to protect jobs and services.
They may be higher than our European competitors, but so is the cost of living here, particularly property (rent or buy). Unless you have a magic teleport machine that allows people to live in UK/France/Germany while working here as teachers or building control inspectors or environmental inspectors, then they need the income that will allow them to live and work here.

My point is and I think it is fairly obvious is simply how can a huge cut be made to the health service and yet the 70 % of the health service budget that consists of wages and salaries cannot be touched.
I don`t consider the pension levy as a pay cut...it was a perk that is now being paid for.

So many factual errors here that it's hard to know where to start.

1) The pension levy is just a pay cut. The money deducted does not go towards pensions. Many low-paid public sector staff pay the levy, but will get little or no pension, as the standard OAP is deducted from public sector pensions. Those who do get decent public sector pensions now have to worry about the risk of whether the State will be able to pay their pension at retirement - nice perk, eh?

2) The 70% of the health budget that consists of wages and salaries HAS already been touched (or groped unmercifully, more like) and will continue to be hit. The pension levy and the pay cut have cut this budget. The embargo on replacing leavers and retirees (which has decimated much of the mental health services in particular) has cut this. The current redundancy programme has cut this.

This '70% of budget can't be cut' is a big PR lie from Mary Harney designed to distract attention from her own personal abysmal failure to provide a half-decent health service. Don't fall for the spin.

I don`t consider the pension levy as a pay cut...it was a perk that is now being paid for. The fact is that public sector salaries are much higher here than our european competitors and all financed by borrowing and they must be at a realistic level to protect jobs and services.

Id still like to know where you heard that civil servants havent taken a paycut. There's a lot of off the cuff comments bandied around the recent threads, that just cant be substantiated..

They may be higher than our European competitors, but so is the cost of living here, particularly property (rent or buy). Unless you have a magic teleport machine that allows people to live in UK/France/Germany while working here as teachers or building control inspectors or environmental inspectors, then they need the income that will allow them to live and work here.
I know that economics isn't your strongest area so just to let you know; there is a link between pay and costs.

This '70% of budget can't be cut' is a big PR lie from Mary Harney designed to distract attention from her own personal abysmal failure to provide a half-decent health service. Don't fall for the spin.
That's right, it's all her fault :rolleyes:

Back