What dictates the amount of a state pension someone gets?

WGT

What dictates the amount of a state pension someone gets?

More specifically, if you have a bigger private pension on maturity does this mean you will get less of a state pension.

Re: State Pension

A person with the required PRSI contribution history will qualify for a contributory old age pension no matter what other means they have. In contrast, the non-contributory old age pension is means tested. See the DSFA site for more on this.

>> the required PRSI contribution history

I have worked part time 24 hr/week for many years after a full time job and did not have to pay (any/much) social contributions but was on a normal pay roll and insured through my employer. How can I find out if I head for a contributory or non-contributorey pension and what consequences do I have to consider when it comes to PRSA?

Fanny

Perhaps your query has already been answered. If not, then it might be a good idea to contact the Pensions Forecast Section of Department of Social Welfare., just give them a phone call. They will be able to give you an up-to-date record of your contributions and advise you of what further/how many contributions you need to qualify for a pension.

Good Luck

Back