What comes in a new house?

shoppergal

Hi,

myself and the OH are currently house-hunting and saw a really nice show house yesterday. My question is: What normally comes with a new house? The estate agent confirmed that there is no tiling allowance and that we would be responsible for flooring and tiling. So if there's no tiling done in the bathroom does that mean for example that you install your own shower?
Would curtain poles be put up or would you do that yourself?
Is the kitchen plumbed so that all you have to do is install the appliances or do you need to get it plumbed as well?

Reading back over these questions I know they sound really stupid but we're both FTB's so don't really know the ins and outs of everything.

thanks a million for any help.

Hi,

We just bought a new place 2 weeks ago - FTBs also. It an apartment so it might vary but we got all the kitchen units minus the appliances. No flooring put down but did get the bathroom and kitchen tiled and a fitted wardrobe. Expect the worst choice of paint on the walls too ;)
No curtain poles installed and the shower is just a mixer showerhead with wall fitting.

A friend of mine bought a new house and he said there wasn't any tiling in bathroom or kitchen so it must vary.

Our brouchure listed what was going to be included in the property. They should be able to tell you what is included.

Good luck : )

I'm in the middle of sorting contracts for a new apartment myself, and am finding that getting a proper specification of the kit-out is v difficult.
I think that, in general, you'll get 'a' fitted kitchen and a fitted wardrobe in the main bathroom. But there isn't really a norm as some places, for example, include appliances.
I'm buying off plans, but even with a show-house, you need to have it confirmed how much of the showhouse will be replicated in the actual houses.
So, um, that doesn't really answer your question, except to say that you need to get *everything* confirmed, and don't assume anything. Better that the estate agent thinks you're an eejit than get to snagging and find that the spec isn't what you expected.

Thanks SirOurs and kitm. Am trying to add up how much extra we'll need on top of the house price. Looks like a lot!!! There's a 1 year old for sale in the same development for 10k more so am thinking that might be alot less hassle!!

The spec says fitted kitchen & wardrobes but that'd mean all floors, tiling 3 bathrooms, showers, and so on. Gosh, I'm tired even thinking about it.

Good luck both of you with your new apartments :eek:)

Generally you get a fitted kitchen according to a standard design with holes, electric wires, capped water pipes/drains left for the appliances that slot in.
Often the main bedroom will come with built ins, depending on the build the second bedroom might also. Usually the ground floor will be plain concrete floors, well concrete with floor levelling screed on it.
Upstairs will usually be unfinsihed wooden floor, white deal which while being very soft, it is possible to sand and varnish but the floor is easily damaged and it depends what nick the builders left in it....for example, if some guy chucked a used tea bag on it etc. If you're unlucky you get hipboard floor, or very unusually i think you could have concrete floor upstairs. The ensuite often comes with a shower and then the main bathroom will often have a set of taps that feed a shower hose but the flow will usually be weak. Having the shower fitted is usually a pain as you have to remove it to do the tiling.

At least thats what most houses in Cork seem to come like.

Back