What colour to paint my kitchen?

ericsson

Hi all,

I have been wracking my brain for the past few days trying to decide on a colour for my kitchen and I still haven't come up with anything so I was hoping someone could help me.

I recently got a new kitchen installed. It is cream high gloss with a walnut countertop. I got large cream porcelain tiles on the floor at the kitchen end and walnut laminate at the dining end. I got walnut Venetian blinds put up and have a dull Matt cream tile as a splash back under the extractor. My appliances are all stainless steel and my kitchen table is chrome and glass with chrome and a black/grey colour Perspex seat.

I have to say I am delighted with the result so far, however what colour do I paint the walls?? Would more cream be a cream overload?! I got the matt cream tiles for under the extractor fan to break the shine of the high Gloss units and porcelain tiles but now I'm wishing I put coloured tiles under extractor fan to break the cream but its too late now. It's quite a small space thus I wanted to create the illusion of it being bigger than it actually is.

My sister recommended painting the walls a pistachio green colour but I don't know how this would go? I was also thinking a slate grey colour but again I don't want it looking clinically clean and like a warehouse or doctors surgery. At the moment it is a magnolia colour and its just a bit soulless. I was thinking of wallpapering the wall behind the kitchen table to add warmth and texture and will prob go for a wallpaper that has a shade of whatever colour I paint the rest of the room in it...

Any opinions greatly appreciated! I'm usually great at making decisions but this has really stumped me...

Thanks in advance,
Ericsson

Have a look at this website for inspiration www.houzz.com Also if you post your photos on this website, there are hundreds of interior designers on the forum that love to help.Many will photoshop your photos for you to give you an idea of how different colours will change the mood of your room. As far as Im concerned, this is clearly the best home and garden type website and very helpful people on the forum...a bit like this AAM website :)

Last edited:
Thanks SPUDZ, will definitely take a look at that site, could be my new addiction by the sounds of it :)

I think some shade of green would be a good idea - green is a true neutral as it goes with everything (every colour flower looks good on a green plant).
Also check out Pinterest for inspiration, and you can set up your own boards to make a personal "scrapbook" of ideas.

In fact you can pin pictures from houzz.com onto Pinterest, and gather all your inspiration into one place

Thanks Spudz. Really like the look of that website too. Have just been browsing it. It is mostly American stuff on it?

Yes it is mostly American...however you will find users to be from all over the world.Spend a bit of time browsing and you can find literally everything your heart desires once you get used to it and able to filter better.

A dark plum colour could work with what you have described or a dark biscuity???

I think some shade of green would be a good idea - green is a true neutral as it goes with everything (every colour flower looks good on a green plant).

+1. we have a similar colour set up to you, maple units, black granite workstops and cream range. After testing 9 sample pots, we chose two finalists, Agate and Sage, both Dulux. Settled on the Sage and Mrs. Slim is very pleased. My sister used the Agate on one wall of her sitting room and I must say it is nice, brighter though. Sage is good as long as you have good light in the kitchen. Slim

Thanks slim sage sounds nice and it's got a lot of natural light as it has 3 windows and a glass back door. Also Im kind of liking the plum idea tallpaul. Thinking this could go well with a plum feature wall behind the dining area and a biscuit colour on the other walls. Think a visit to the paint shop is in order this weekend.

Previously I hadn't been too sure about greens as my mothers kitchen used to be an awful shade of green (think it was called foaming sea) and I have always had that at the back of my mind. Thinking an olive green could be nice now though!

I'm never usually this indecisive I just don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks again for all the help,
Ericsson :)

Hi Ericsson your kitchen sounds the exact same as mine . We painted the kitchen a biscuit colour and on the dining room wall we painted it a sage green but only painted it green midway down the wall like a 4 foot stripe . Its really nice .

Hi,
I have Agathia Green (from Dulux I think) on one kitchen wall, the rest of the walls are a very light beige (warm parchment), high gloss ivory units, cream tiles, with floor outside of kitchen area dark wood. The green looks really well on the wall. It's a bit mad looking when you open the tin, I was a bit wary when I opened it at first, but it looks great up!.
Geri

Hi,
I have Agathia Green (from Dulux I think) on one kitchen wall, the rest of the walls are a very light beige (warm parchment), high gloss ivory units, cream tiles, with floor outside of kitchen area dark wood. The green looks really well on the wall. It's a bit mad looking when you open the tin, I was a bit wary when I opened it at first, but it looks great up!.
Geri

Agathia, yes that's it. Funny how quickly you forget!:eek:

May I suggest two colours to you. I recently built on a new kitchen which gives me a space of living room,dining room and kitchen. I used a Colourtrend paint on the kitchen and diningroom called Linen Basket (which is a very light green) and I used a colour called Nude Bisque (again Colourtrend) on the living room end and I must say am very happy with the result. Colourtrend is an expensive paint but is worth the price.

Back