What car to buy for 30 000?

StaroftheSea

I'm in the lucky position to have a budget of 30 000 at the very most, and I'm elligable for scrappage, if I buy new. I want to buy something classy, sporty looking and stylish. I don't know where the best value for money lies.....as in whether to buy new with scraggage, or forget scraggage and buy second hand, some cars come with extras others don't etc....
Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks.

take a spin in a c5 citreon,its a b bracket tax 1.6 diseal,you,ll never look back.

With a bit of a discount you should be able to get something like this

[broken link removed]

or [broken link removed]

or [broken link removed]

also, check out UK Autotrader - there are still huge savings to be made

Great position to be in, by the way.......do you want a saloon or would you consider a hatchback?

'08 520d m sport? This one is sold, but gives you the idea:
[broken link removed]

If your a cash buyer then go to the UK and get a 520d as per paddyd - huge specs on alot of them and the new model means you'll get a good M Sport landed here for €30k if not less.

"I want to buy something classy, sporty looking and stylish.

I don't mind saloon or hatchback"

A bit more info to narrow the range a little? Are their kids / babies to tend with for example? Is this car just for you? A roadster / Softtop? Is fuel economy / tax / insurance costs a thing? Environment?

a bit more specific for us so we can be a bit more on target rather than guessing ..

Bob

Assuming babies/dogs etc aren't an issue I'd be looking at something like this;

I would definately have a look at the mainland UK as there is a vast choice of well equipped low mileage cars over there and if you buy a low emmissions model the VRT is very manageable. Personally I have gone off buying new because of depreciation. Buying a one year old seems to make more economic sense to me and you get far more bang for your buck. Also I think a well equipped 3 series coupe is one of the classiest cars out there

Depends on how "sporty" you want to go really. If you're serious about performance what about something like an

[broken link removed] or

[broken link removed] (note this is a rotary) or

[broken link removed]

ok. Thanks guys. To answer a few questions: No kids and no dog! Car is just for me. Not interested in softtop or convertible etc. I would like something eye catching and sporty, but not extremely flashy. perhaps understated style is a good way to describe what I'm looking for! Low tax would be preferable and economy is important. Having said that, I don't do more than about 13 000 in the year....
I like that M sport that Paddy D mentioned,and I doubly like SOM42's 3 series coupe, i must have a look at one locally for starters....however sometimes I think the interior of the bmw's are a little boring..... The A5 is definately out of range price wise.. I'd probably like something not more than two years old....

With regard to

BMWs are 100-a-penny these days, if you are looking for something eye catching I would look elsewhere

That may be true (note I did recommend an M3 :D) but if spending 30K on something sporty, I personally would like something "different", something that each time I see it/drive it makes me smile and that not think that every second business executive has one. Just my opinion though

I would go with a deisel audi every time, just for spec alone. Although the 520d look good also.

If you could wait another month or so the yummie new HONDA CRZ will be out:

[broken link removed]

honda-crz.jpg

[broken link removed] - for specs and UK Pricing.
[broken link removed]

The FIFTH GEAR video review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_8uJ60GvY&feature=player_embedded#!

More Video - [broken link removed]

Official Footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8jUocZZ-0&feature=player_embedded

I was talking to a Honda Dealer guy here - he reckoned about €23000 here.

This is a 1.5 hybrid. 122bhp, 117g/km of CO2. This means cheap road tax and around 50-58mpg depending in which mode you drive it. Yes, their is a sports button as well as normal and eco. Interesting thing is when one is in sport mode the electric motor acts as a turbo also. The torque kicks in nice and low too, around 1000 / 1500 revs - 174Nm between just 1,000 and 1,500rpm, so climbing hills and stuff shouldnt need too much down gear changing. Its a six speed box. Not too disimilar to the old Honda CRX.

So - you get sporty, econo, environmental, cheap to run AND Honda reliability plus good resale value as a marquee.

I want one, even over my lovely blue 03 MX5 Nevada. I used own two CRXes in the past, great little motor that was.

By the way their will be a Mugen version on the way - a Type R CRZ ... 45mpg, 200bhp

Bob

I like the idea of buying a new shape car so probably wouldnt pick an older shaped Beemer if I were you.

I drool over the Passat CC when I see one... and no shortage of VW lovers in this country when it comes to selling time.

Laguna coupe?? Probably depreciate like a stone but I do like them. Looks a bit like a DB9 from the rear.
[broken link removed]

Back