what car for 8K ish

creme egg

Hi all, I have been looking through posts, and am more confused than when I started! I was thinking of buying a Renault Megane (newer shape) but from looking at the threads, I'd be better off with a skateboard.

I currently have a very old car, a 95 peugeot 106. I have had it for 7 years and it has given me no bother at all. I would be looking to get a 4 door car, in and around 1.6 ltr engine. I would like a few mod cons in the car (CD player, central locking, electric windows) as I have had none for so long. I would like something from 00 onwards.

This maybe like asking how long is a piece of string, but what would you reccommend I go for??

thanks so much, creme egg.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec. You will not buy a better car in that bracket...
For 8K though you're looking at the previous model Focus (still great)!

(Is this getting old like the Octavia thing yet??) ;)

(Is this getting old like the Octavia thing yet??) ;)

....Must be an insider joke : )

I had not thought about Ford, will give them a look now. Thanks so much. Older model doesn't bother me.... anything is an improvement on what I have!

There is a reason there are so many Focus on the road. They are the best car in their class.

What size car do you want?
How many miles do you drive.

Plenty out there for 8 k.

Try and get something with ac handy for demisting the windows when it is pissing it down.

If we ever see sun again useful then too.

Hi Frank: I would not do too many miles, maybe 10,000 a year at most. I was thinking about 1.4 / 1.6 ltr engine. I took a look at the Ford Focus on carzone.ie, and would not be a huge fan looks wise.
Suppose I am looking for something that looks modern enough I suppose, with some nice mod cons too. Not too fussy about make's... typical girl I suppose, more concerned with aesthetics : )

Good point about the air con!

creme egg,

you can't go wrong with a toyota corolla or avensis.. mechanically reliable and second hand you'll have your choice of specs....

best of luck

There is excellent value to be had in "Car Vans", so long as you don`t mind a 2 seater estate,.

Hi Droileen, A car van would not be something I would consider, as would want back seats too.... there might be a bundle of joy in the next 12 months or so.

Legend, I'll check out the Corolla & Avensis,

thanks for the reply.

creme egg.

A Corolla or Avensis are much more boring looks wise than the Focus.

What about a Golf so?

The interesting looking cars (Megane/ 147 etc) tend to be the dodgiest reliability wise for some reason.

look for extras. Especially safety.

ABS Airbags etc. high priority.

High NCAP rating

I would say look at bigger cars avensis passat mondeo laguna etc. you are more likely to get extras including aircon although you may be aiming more 1.6 to 1.8

look for extras. Especially safety.

ABS Airbags etc. high priority.

High NCAP rating

I would say look at bigger cars avensis passat mondeo laguna etc. you are more likely to get extras including aircon although you may be aiming more 1.6 to 1.8

Agree with Frank.
Also a post 00 Volvo S40 may worth a look. not that pretty looking but alot better than avensis

Creme egg,

I would be of similiar mind as yourself, looks are a priority but want it to be reliable all nice and cheap!. Looked lately for a friend and you can get the older model vectra 1.6 2001for bout €6500 I prefer it looks wise to the new model and its a nice drive with plenty of room for kids. There seems to be loads of focus fans at AAM, but i never saw the attraction looks wise, but I wouldn't be a car expert by any stretch of the imagination, both the cars I currently like are always slated; A3 and Passat!

Vectras are cheap for several good reasons.

Focus is the logical choice. It's the clear market leader. 1.6 Zetec drives really well, and is very reasonable to run. It's also well specced.

I am in the same situation as OP - not a girl but looking for something four door, second hand, around 8K etc - I am still undecided between Focus, Mondeo and Volvo S60.

creme egg, from my research so far

* Ford Focus / Mondeo (Pros: spacious, comfortable, really cheap to maintain. Cons: Boring, everyone has them, uninspiring, poor spec unless Zetec trim)

* Volvo S60/S80 (Pros: safe, very safe, very very safe, luxury comforts, good looks. Cons: could be expensive to maintain, larger engines, taxes etc)

* Toyota Corolla / Avensis (Pros: bullet proof reliability, predictable. Cons: Boring)

I am leaning towards S60 at the moment myself, purely based on the comforts (dolby sound system for instance..! :D) ... but I might end up with a Focus / Mondeo...

I am in the same situation as OP - not a girl but looking for something four door, second hand, around 8K etc - I am still undecided between Focus, Mondeo and Volvo S60.

creme egg, from my research so far

* Ford Focus / Mondeo (Pros: spacious, comfortable, really cheap to maintain. Cons: Boring, everyone has them, uninspiring, poor spec unless Zetec trim)

* Volvo S60/S80 (Pros: safe, very safe, very very safe, luxury comforts, good looks. Cons: could be expensive to maintain, larger engines, taxes etc)

* Toyota Corolla / Avensis (Pros: bullet proof reliability, predictable. Cons: Boring)

I am leaning towards S60 at the moment myself, purely based on the comforts (dolby sound system for instance..! :D) ... but I might end up with a Focus / Mondeo...

You are looking at a range of cars in entirely different market segments there. How can you compare a Corola to an S80? The Volvo will be collosally expensive to own and run by comparison, it's also miles bigger, and faster.

The Toyotas are very dull cars I'll grant you but the others aren't.

Back