What Bodily Secretions can DNA be extracted from?

R

rmelly

Aside from the obvious, what others can DNA be extracted from. What about the following:

Semen - YES
Blood - YES
Saliva - YES
Hair (all types) - YES
Skin (incl. dandruff) - YES
Urine - NO (unless skin cells present)
Faeces - UNKNOWN
Sweat - YES
Mucus/Phlegm - YES
Snot - UNKNOWN
Ear Wax - YES
Pus (from an infection or spot etc) - UNKNOWN
Breast Milk - UNKNOWN
Farts (liquified?) - UNKNOWN
Finger/Toe Nails - UNKNOWN

Note: This is purely out of curiosity - I'm not planning the perfect crime before anyone asks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I was classing Semen and Saliva under 'obvious'.

Plus I was classing mucus as phlegm (maybe incorrectly)?

DNA can be extracted from hair and skin, how many times have we heard DNA of the suspect was found under the fingernails of murder victims

DNA can be extracted from hair and skin, how many times have we heard DNA of the suspect was found under the fingernails of murder victims

I think that is just if the victim scratched them, so there would be skin cells under their fingernails.

Also, I think you can only get DNA from a hair if the skin tag at the root is still attached.

I was just enjoying a sandwich so thanks very much for this disgusting thread. Use Google please and you might find out!!!

[broken link removed]

Yes to snot & pus.

Snot & pus are similar - part of the bodies defense against foreign bodies whereby it attacks and attempts to encapsulate them - both include a high proportion of dead white blood cells which all contain a full set of the persons DNA.

Some interesting trivia:

When you have a cold, your runny nose starts off as clear liquid - this is because at this stage the virus has the upper hand and the clear liquid contains the remains of colourless dead white blood cells. As your body begins to win the battle, then the snots turn green - the green colour being caused by the casulties of the infecting body.So when your snot turns green, its a sign that you've licked the infection and are on the road to recovery.

For faeces, urine and breast milk - they may not contain cells, but it would be difficult to imagine that the rubbing/flowing action of them moving against walls of parts they are secreted from during secretion would not dislodge some cells.

Back