What are the most important factors in means testing?

Sam

I've recently returned home from New Zealand after being made redundant in my job over there. I was on Jobseeker's benefit for 6 months last year and before that I was travelling for 13 months so I haven't worked in Ireland for over 2 years. I worked in Ireland for 3 years from July 2004 to May 2007.

From reading the other posts it would seem that I will not be eligible for Jobseeker's benefit since I haven't paid 39 weeks of PRSI since 2007 (I probably have only 20). So I presume that I will have to apply for Jobseeker's Allowance and hence I will be means tested.

I am just wondering what are the most important factors that will affect my claim. I went to the social welfare office today and they gave me an assessment sheet with various questions on it. I've just moved home with my parents and I'm 27 years old with no income. I do however have savings, some of which is invested in equities. How much of this will count against me and to what extent? Also how important is my parent's income?

Edit: Ok, just found this http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcontent/en/irish-social-welfare-system/means-test-for-social-welfare-payments/means-test-for-jobseekers-allowance/

So does this mean that if I'm over 24 and living at home and If I have <E20,000 in savings and investments that it won't count against me?

To answer your last question first,yes you are correct, over 24 living with parents and having lived independently savings of 20,000 are disregarded.

However there may be some concerns around the Habitual Residence Condition as you have been out of the country, or common travel Area for over 2 years.
Check with SW

However there may be some concerns around the Habitual Residence Condition as you have been out of the country, or common travel Area for over 2 years.
Check with SW

I was here for 6 months in 2008 but I was not working and was claiming JB-will this still affect it?

Yes that would have an affect as you would have PRSI credits for that period and therefore you are not 2 complete years out of the country.
Sorry if I missed that bit on your original post

Well I went along yesterday and it turns out that I had just worked enough weeks in 2007 (26) along with a full year in 2006 for me to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit.

I know the OP had enough stamps in the governing year 2007 but I thought you had to work 12 or 13 weeks/ credits after your last claim in order to re-qualify for jobseekers benefit?
Can anybody confirm this?

Back