What are EA's charging to sell a house?

Buzzmolloy

Just about to put a house on the market, can anybody give me some info on rates Estate Ageents are asking to handle the sale

Thanks

Buzz

You need to ring around a few of them.
Where I live they charge anything from .5% to 1.7% of the Sale price. And there could be additional charges for Advertising.

I sold recently in Dublin. I called out 4/5 agents and just went through the process with them. You get a good feel by doing this as to who is good and who is not. While price is not uinimportant a good agent can make the difference between a sale or not. Also, you need very good photos. I paid 1% and I would not pay much more than that although I am aware there can be regional variations.

Getting charged 1% at present, although not sold yet.

Another quoted me 1.5%.

Some of them only operate as Sole Seller. They won't agree to anyone else selling at the same time.
You'd have to ask them. To be honest they'll both be putting a sign up, they'll both be putting an ad on Daft.
The difference really is, have they a good base of buyers?
Do they proactively come back to people they know are looking to buy?
Do they follow up people who have viewed houses to see if they are interested?

From my experience as a househunter, it is the bigger EAs only who still keep contact with me to see am I still looking.
Also they are the only ones who follow up when I've viewed a house (though the market is very quiet at the moment, I haven't viewed any houses since the spring).
I just think the bigger EAs have the office staff and the bandwidth to chase buyers and to keep in touch with the reality of the market. The smaller guys never come back to me to tell me about houses I might be interested in.

does anyone know if the advertising you pay for with an EA can be altered during the 6 months? Or is it the case that once they post an ad for your house on a website that it cannot be chnaged unless you pay for another ad?

If it were me selling I'd use sellityourself.ie

I have no connection with these guy's, I just reckon EA's are a poor value proposition.

My experience with EAs (contacting them about houses to buy) suggests they are a total waste of money. None of them can even be bothered answering half my questions or contacting me.

They appear to not know how to sell.

Today I enquired about selling my house and was told there was a €700 +vat fee up front and then 2.5% of the sale!
I thought this sounded v steep and by the goings of this thread it is!!

We are sale agreed on a house, and the booking fee we paid was 2% - as far as I know the booking fee is the agents fee.

Back