What are career chances with a major in Biology?

Honey Bee

I am in a bit of a dilemma. My daughter is currently on an athletic scholarship in America and she has to decide in the next couple of days which subject she wishes to major in (a) International Business Studies or (b) Biology. Her preference is biology but she is not sure if she majors in this subject it will be recognised by the Colleges in Ireland in order that she can proceed to postgraduate studies. Also what are her career options if she chooses biology or would she have better choices if she took up International Business Studies? Any advice hugely appreciated.

Last edited:
I am in a bit of a dilemma. My daughter is currently on an athletic scholarship in America and she has to decide in the next couple of days which subject she wishes to major in (a) International Business Studies or (b) Biology. Her preference is biology but she is not sure if she majors in this subject it will be recognised by the Colleges in Ireland in order that she can proceed to postgraduate studies. Also what are her career options if she chooses biology or would she have better choices if she took up International Business Studies? Any advice hugely appreciated.

It should be possible to check with the colleges here if the course will be recognised for postgraduate courses. I can't really see a problem with it though.

As for the career question, it is very difficult to answer the question. I would always tell someone to do what they enjoy the most whether that be biology or business.

Firstly, I think it's your daughter's dilemma not yours. She needs to decide herself, obviously with your advice, but she needs to feel it's her decision.

Why wouldn't Irish colleges recognise a Biology major from the US? If there is any problem with degree recognition I would have thought it more likely in business studies than a science degree. International Business Studies to me sounds very vague/wishy-washy.

Will she definitely do post-grad in Ireland? If she's going to continue she may well decide to do post-grad in the States.

I think she'd be better off majoring in whatever she is most interested in, which at the moment is Biology.

Thanks for advice. Seems likely if and when she Majors in the States it will be recognised by most colleges over here. As she is on scholarship in the States this will expire when she majors and she may do her post-grad in Ireland as it will be way too expensive to keep her over there.

I know it is her Major Dilemma!! but she has a wonderful knack of burdening me with her problems! I will be giving her all advice I have received but the final decision will be hers.

Depends on what she wants to work as really...and if she wants to live in Ireland. Most biological scientists I know that are still in science are living in the UK. My primary degree is Molecular Biology...I now work in event management (having given up a science job that die to dreadfully low pay). My classmates include a teacher, an accountant, an optician (she retrained), and a civil servant. The three that are in the UK are an academic, a hospital scientist and a research scientist. Another friend of mine did a biology based PhD, worked in research for 6 months and is now earning a six figure sum in sales.

Will pass on this infor to her. Thanks so much. Life Long Learning seems to be the future and the Irish will become more like the Americans i.e. frequently changing their career paths ! Seems like no matter what course you take you can veer off in some totally different direction in the future anyhow (very exciting really as opposed to same job for life)!

Back