Wexford Town? Any areas to recommend?

Slaphead

Hello, im moving back to the south east after 11 years abroad, wife and two kids, 6 & 10 with me.
Wexford town seems to be the most viable location for us, we dont want to be totally out in the sticks and i feel at home in the area. Anyone reccomend any decent areas to me? Ive seen houses advertised in Coolcotts, Clonard, Clonard village, Cromwells forth amongst other areas. Well be renting first before buying.
Id really appreciate some input as this is such an huge move for us and i want it all to go well.

Re: Wexford Town? Any areas to reccomend?

Check out schools before you decide. Schools must take from their catchment area (unless they have absolutely no space) I lived in Wexford a few years ago and the schools were an issue. Probably worse now. The school in Piercestown was recognised at the time as the best in the wexford area but they got so many children from the town that they had to restrict admissions. Situation may have improved with schools but given the age of your children may be worth looking into.

Check out schools before you decide. Schools must take from their catchment area (unless they have absolutely no space) I lived in Wexford a few years ago and the schools were an issue. Probably worse now. The school in Piercestown was recognised at the time as the best in the wexford area but they got so many children from the town that they had to restrict admissions. Situation may have improved with schools but given the age of your children may be worth looking into.

Yes, the schools is the big thing with us, well be putting them into 4th class and high infants.
I liked the sound of the irish school in Clonard for my youngest, she's allready got two languages and barely knows a word of Irish but from what i gather she could probably cope. The older fella though wont have to bother with Irish so he wont be able to go there.
Where is Piercestown,, ohh fouind it on Daft, isnt that way out of town?

Slaphead -

Friend of mine lives there and it's 4 miles from Wexford Town apparentely

Piercestown looks good ill look into it a bit more, anyone know anything about Clonard, Coolcotts, Cromwells Forth??+

Clonard/Coolcotts,

Is quite a big area, with probably 8k or so living there. You'd need to ask about individual estates. Some are local authority, most not.

Cromwells fort seemed ok to me when I visited a friend, and is close to the main street and the new 24 hr tesco. (haven't been there yet , looks huge though)

I would recommend Murntown, Hayestown & Piercestown areas, they are really good locations only a few minutes drive from Wexford town, with good schools and sports facilities.

Just to answer your question about Clonard, Coolcotts & Cromwells Fort, they are all very built up areas with alot of ongoing building. I have lived in Wexford for 10 years now and I love it but I would definitely recommend living just outside the town where you have the best of both worlds - country living but close enough to town!

Thanks for that Buz, someone above said Piercestown school was good too so ill definitely look into it.
Im not too mad on living out in the country though, my kids is terrified at the tought but as long as there was an estate with a few familes on it i reckon it would work.
Also my wife doesnt have her driving licence yet so she wants to live in the "bright lights and the big city" (ala father ted)

I lived in Wexford for a number of years.
I would recomend avoiding Clonard as it is very built up has had a problem with anti social behaviour(a little mind)
Good areas include Piercestown Barntown particulary around the village (good NS there and not far out of town) and Castlebridge(same plus points as Barntown)

Hi Slaphead,
Sorry to take the post off direction - so I see you have decided to move...

How did the situation with the Nursing go..?

Hi Slaphead,
Sorry to take the post off direction - so I see you have decided to move...

How did the situation with the Nursing go..?

Not too good although it's all still unclear, ill post it in the other thread so as not to confuse this one.

Unforseen events mean that i wont be working in wexford like i tought i would, Gorey would be nearer to my work but the missus is agains it as she reckons Grey is far more expensive to buy & rent in than Wexford town and she also thinks the school there is too crowded to be any good.

Ive had a look at prices and they seem only slightly higher in Gorey and ive only ever heard good things about the school there, crowded maybe but still giving good results.

Anyone ideas anyone?

I live in Gorey and I decided against the senior school there. It IS a good school but it's got nearly twice as many kids in it as it was built for. A student there told me that they're not allowed to go around in groups of more than four because they intimidate the teachers!! My issues two years ago were the smog of smoke outside the school from pupils smoking, the number of pupils crammed into the place and the drugs issue I was told existed there.

I put my eldest to school in Arklow, there is a bus service that operates from Gorey to the schools there, costs about 30Euro a week.

On the subject of Irish, there is a good Irish school in Gorey for the little one. If you're planning to put the eldest in fourth class that would mean two years more in primary after this current year. He would only be exempt from Irish if he is 11 when he comes here (and that's assuming he's been away for at least 3 years) Sounds like you've checked that out though.

Houses are a bit more expensive to buy here but you should get a decent enough family home for 700-800 euro rent if you go outside the town a bit.

More info if you need it.

Hi
Just saw this post tonight. Don't know if you are still looking for info on Wexford Town but here goes.

I myself have lived in both College Green and Pineridge. Both lovely estates, personally prefered Pineridge, houses are all detached, and its an older estate, well built houses imo. College Green and Pineridge both have great location. Five mins walk from Main Street in town.

Friends of mine live in Whiterock Heights - lovely estate. Directly across the road from the entrance of the Gaelscoil (Irish School). Again all detached houses, good sized gardens, my friends love it - really nice neighbours etc.

Personally would not like Clonard Village - very built up and not really that near town or schools. Clonard itself is a different area, some nice estates, some not great, but location for town is good. Cromwellsfort looks pretty nice but I know someone who sold her house here recently and said she sold it because the house was like paper - could hear everything next door. Don't know how true this is. Also, lots of houses rented there - don't know if this would be a problem.

Piercestown, Barntown, Castlebridge - nice areas, close to town but you would definately need a car to get to town, real country areas.

Don't know anything about Gorey - sorry!

Hope this info is of some help.

I think templederry ballygarrett, gorey is a fabulous place...do you know it? I think your wife would particularly like it as it defo has the bright lights "father ted style" while also being in the heart of a close knit community. It has lovely pubs, where everyone knows your name, even the "Lord Mayor", and a lovely chip van which we fondly call " botulism on wheels"....so you could wine and dine your wife any time you like! defo worth considering.

I think templederry ballygarrett, gorey is a fabulous place...do you know it? I think your wife would particularly like it as it defo has the bright lights "father ted style" while also being in the heart of a close knit community. It has lovely pubs, where everyone knows your name, even the "Lord Mayor", and a lovely chip van which we fondly call " botulism on wheels"....so you could wine and dine your wife any time you like! defo worth considering.

Sorry to bump up an old thread but does anyone know what it is like to live in Wexford town now? the query is for a retired couple who are thinking of purchasing a house in the town.

What's your budget? Does it have to be within walking distance of the town center? Or are you happy as long as a shop is within a 5 minute stroll?

Close to town, I'd probably think in terms of St John's Road or Pine Ridge.
Cromwellsfort would be worth a look too, maybe check it out "on the ground" first to see if they think it would be too noisy.

Back