wexford footballers

loll

in the enniscorthy echo this week jason ryan manager of the wexford footballers appealed for employers to employ members of the team to stop them emigrating!!!! what an abuse of power............ more qualified people who wont be missing days off work due to matches surely also deserve jobs.... appears they are not as important. I think its a disgrace!!

Abuse of power? Does the football manager have the power to pass laws down there to make people employ footballers?

Wexford is a county that is proud of it's teams (as I'm sure all counties are). I don't think this is an abuse of power as you said, more a plea for support of the team and it's players.

If a company in Wexford employ a footballer even if their job-skills and qualifications are not as appropriate as another non-footballing applicant, could the company be facing a discrimination claim?

If a company in Wexford employ a footballer even if their job-skills and qualifications are not as appropriate as another non-footballing applicant, could the company be facing a discrimination claim?

It would be a sad day if it came to that.

It would be a sad day if it came to that.

Why?

How about:-

If a company in Wexford employ a Heterosexual even if their job-skills and qualifications are not as appropriate as another Homosexual applicant, could the company be facing a discrimination claim?

OR

If a company in Wexford employ an Irish person even if their job-skills and qualifications are not as appropriate as a Croation applicant, could the company be facing a discrimination claim?

Why?

If a company in Wexford employ a Heterosexual even if their job-skills and qualifications are not as appropriate as another Homosexual applicant, could the company be facing a discrimination claim?

OR

If a company in Wexford employ an Irish person even if their job-skills and qualifications are not as appropriate as a Croation applicant, could the company be facing a discrimination claim?

And you put those cases in the same bracket as someone who plays football against someone who doesn't????

p.s. why pick on the poor Croatians?

And you put those cases in the same bracket as someone who plays football against someone who doesn't????

p.s. why pick on the poor Croatians?

I was going to pick on the English but I was trying to be more modern!

From Wikipedia - "Direct discrimination involves treating someone less favorably because of their possession of an attribute."

...only if the unsuccessful applicant can demonstrate sufficient grounds to prove discrimination. Employers' hiring decisions are not otherwise subject to any sort of Orwellian third-party authority. If I choose the wrong candidate for a job, its my problem, once I haven't illegally discriminated against anyone in the process.

Didn't the Croatians do reasonably well in some recent football tournament?

what utter b****cks

Many people are hired purely for/as a result of their profile. So there should be a problem giving the nod to someone with profile even if its not a marketing/client facing job.

Even if you had a Wexford footballer scrubbing the jacks you could always put then in a suit for the ad in the local paper, therefore they are of more value to you than the next jacks scrubber and there shouldnt be a problem in giving them the job.

While I'm not for pay for play, I dont begrudge the lads any few perks or advantages they can get from their committment and profile.

While I'm not for pay for play, I dont begrudge the lads any few perks or advantages they can get from their committment and profile.
I definitely would.
I certainly wouldn't expect any perks or advantages for doing my hobbies.

I definitely would.

well sure everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how mean spirited it might seem to me.

I would point out though that even though they do something they like it is a very big commitment and, given a choice, they would do less of it (training most nights for hours etc). Plus they do it for county pride (and personal pride) so if the county gives them something back wheres the harm in that.

I would point out though that even though they do something they like it is a very big commitment and, given a choice, they would do less of it (training most nights for hours etc). Plus they do it for county pride (and personal pride) so if the county gives them something back wheres the harm in that.

In the end of the day, like all amateur sports people, this is their hobby - its not as if they are forced to play GAA.

Why?

OR

It generally comes down to profile and what the company gets out of having that sportsperson amongst their staff, so its difficult to find a comparison.

I definitely would.

Except this hobby drives a major cultural organisation within our country and actually gives back to each and every community, therefore those that sacrifice their time at the highest level shouldn't be begrudged some level of 'perks'.

In the end of the day, like all amateur sports people, this is their hobby - its not as if they are forced to play GAA.

If guys and girls stopped training and playing at this level we would lose so much more than we would gain.

Back