Wet rooms

D

decembersally

Hi. Am currently in the process of deciding how to decorate new home which is currently being built. One of the ideas we are thinking about kitting out the ensuite as a sort of “wet room”. My understanding of it (limited!) is that we’d have to get the proper drain fitted (plumber has quoted 280 for this) and then have completely tiled walls and floor with a slant so that water could flow into the drain. Might/might not include a shower door…Can anyone advise is there a difference between what I’ve seen referred to in magazines as a “wetroom” and what I’ve described? . Does anyone have any further advice?

bit of work

I would guess there's a bit more work than just a drain, effectively the whole room becomes like a shower tray & has to be sealed up properly? (as well as having the slope on the floor).

Also, would there not need to be a dry staging area? where are you going to put the towels? how do you transition from a wet room to a dry bedroom?

Have to admit, looks good, but would take up more room than a traditional en-suite/bathroom by my reckoning. Some of the bathroom supplies stores might be able to give you more info, even some design consultancy?

Walk in shower room

Great if you have to cope with anyone wheelchair bound or the like

Google on disabled bathroom designs and you will find all sorts of ideas

Dont be put off because of the 'disabled' label they are a great idea but do tend to take up more space than 'normal' designs.

eDog

Thanks for the replies. Yes Tiger, i see what you mean. a wetroom is a somewhat exagerrated term for what i envisage! What i think i'd like - if it's possible -is to tile the ensuite floor to ceiling with the one type of tile and have a very plain, clear shower door which would limit the travel possibilities of the water! To explain the room is rectangular shape with the shower at one end, so a shower door could go from wall to wall and separate it from the rest of the room. so really am wondering whether it's possible to not have a shower tray, tile the inside of the shower while obviously making sure it's sealed properly with an appropriate slant and drain.... if anyone has any experiences/advice i'd be most grateful... but suppose i should make a few enquiries in bathroom shops.... roll on the bank holiday weekend!

Hi,
Saw a wet room during construction, but not when finished, basically the builder had covered the interior - all floor & wall space with fiberglass that was moulded to the shape of the rooms contours then let set, the inlets/outlets are obviously in place at this stage as well. I presume the place is then fitted out & tiled.

Back