Wet Room

I am interested in this post on wetrooms. Have there been many adavnces since the last post in 2009?

I am installing wet areas in my upstairs bathroom/ensuites. The first floor is a concrete slab. I have the tanking fairly well covered and I also have all the points described in ONQs post covered.

My main question would be regarding slopes for the wet area. Does anyone have any information/resources on what the minimum slope should be to retain the water from the shower within the wet area?

I was on holidays last year in a house with a wet area and although the floor was sloped, it wasn't sufficient to retain the water within the shower area resulting in the whole bathroom getting wet.

Any advice on this specific area would be appreciated

hóra bmd1

have installed wet room and dry bathroom too. i decided to treat both floors similarly as wetting floors is a family problem! the shower in the wet room has no partition nor cabinet - it's simply a shower point in a bathroom. there are also 2 hand sets.

my solution was to put a central drain in both. any water splashed or from the shower flows naturally into this drain. the slope is imperceptible to the eye until there's water on the floor. i got a square drain which is removable for ease of cleaning.

Thanks feilecan,

I have already plumbed for an outlet in the center of my wet area (ie., shower area) so a drain the middle isn't an option.

Any other views on the pitch of the slope would be appreciated

We were looking at a wet room upstairs but for reasons detailed in this post we decided not to go for it. The majority of people we spoke to (plumbers etc) said it could be done but advised against it.
Its not quite the same but you could get a slimline shower tray and just a panel instead of a shower unit. Something like this idea:
[broken link removed] You kind of get the same as a wet room but without the worry of something going wrong.

Remember that quality of job and watertightness is all important, even with shower enclosures upstairs.

I have had leaks from upstairs shower trays down into the rooms beneath, doesn't need to be a fancy wet room for leaks to occur!!

If the house is new, settling can cause small leaks even in tiled showers. My leak came from a shower enclosure that was tiled half on a solid wall, and half on a stud wall. The house was new, settled over time and there was very minimal movement in the tiling/enclosure etc, but enough to let water downstairs.

I'm look at doing something similar to what Ice posted - a low shower tray along one wall of my ensuite. It would be around 1.25m in width. I want just a single fixed glass screen covering most of one side (leaving a walk-in space) the other three walls of the shower would be tiled.

Is there any reason I can't just get a sheet of (tempered, safety coated, whatever) glass and have that fixed in?

I have see a wet room installed with a very thin sheet of steel used under the tiles. Therefore shinkage/movement, crack in grouting is not an issue. The sheet is installed with the edge curved u to form a rounded skirting board with a hole cut in the sheet over the waste pipe. the old possibility for water to escape is around the connection to the waste pipe.

Back