Westend apartment

M

machree101

Interested in an apartment in Westend, opposite the blanchardstown shopping center, daytime it looked all nice, just wonder if anyone living / or have lived there before could give some idea about location. Is it safe during the night time?

Hi,

The big problem with these apt is access by car. From my experience,it must be a nightmare to get in and out at Christmas time and traffic can be very heavy at the weekend also. Try visiting at different times.

The complex itself looks good and looks well maintained. Everything is on your doorstep. I think that it is reasonably safe at night time.

machree101 would second steelblue my aunt lives near there and is hounded by traffic and trying to get in and out, the centre traffic is pretty rotten

Hi there
For what it's worth, I used to live in Waterville, just on the other side of the dual carriageway near the hospital. (I lived near the front areas rather than half the way to nowhere up the Snugborough Road) and I thought it was a great comprimise. It's faster to get out onto the DualCarriageway, the grounds of the hospital make it feel not too built up and there's a huge (albeit not yet opened) park across from the entrance. You're very near the shopping centre but don't feel like the hordes visiting it at weekends and especially Christmas are encroaching on you.
Just a personal opinion obviously but may be an alternative for you?
S

Hi there, I know Westend well. As stated by other posters, traffic can be pretty bad Saturday afternoons and especially around Christmas time but most of the time it's fine. The complex is fine. A lot of non-nationals (is that the PC term?) which some people may have a problem with but it doesn't bother me. A lot of young families so there are a lot of kids running around which, again, may bother some people but I think creates a good atmosphere about the place. You've a lot of facilities within walking distance, the shopping centre obviously, a convenience store at the gate, a library, a theatre, a Dunnes Stores for the weekly shop and a few pubs in the village. We had problems with one noisy apartment (loud music late at night) but we contacted the management company and they contacted their landlord and it seems to have cured the problem. There's also Heaven nightclub just outside which I thought might be an issue but really hasn't affected us. The residents are relatively friendly as in most people will nod and say hello but I never got to know any of them. A lot of them seem to know each other especially those that have kids. No issues in terms of safety either although I have seen Garda cars once or twice in the complex but don't know why. I've never seen or heard of any problems anyway.

I know Waterville as well which another poster mentioned. It's nice there also and the apartments are bigger than Westend I think.

That's just my experience anyway, other people may have different opinions. On a different note, I wouldn't be rushing in to buying a 2 bed apartment around Dublin for the forseeable future unless I was getting a very, very good price but again that's just my opinion and other people may think differently.

Apart from the traffic most of the apartments are not owner occupied, I don't know if you would see that as a problem. As well as Waterville, Clonee might also be a good alternative in terms of less traffic

Back