West Cork recommendations

dillsquatt

Planning to spend about 5/6 days in West Cork at end of August or September. Looking at Kinsale, Clonakilty, Baltimore or Rosscarberry ....can anyone advise which town is best to base oneself in where there is a nice mix of restaurants and pub for the evening and we can travel to various places during the day. We could do 3 nights in one town and 2 in another - looking for recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Of the four Clonakilty wins easily (Kinsale = Pricey; Baltimore = Nice but limited; Rosscarberry = Small, limited to very limited).

Clonakilty:- Beautiful town. Narrow streets, Friendly People, Good Shopping, Busy, Perfect Base for driving towards Galley Head Lighthouse, Castlefreke Woods, Long Strand, Red Strand and a million good smaller beaches. Take your time though. Avoid some beaches (you'll know by the state of them within minutes of approach and just don't stop). Union Hall,, Glandore, Lough Hyne all of which are beautiful are a short drive distant. Give Skibbereen a visit too (one way system that would destroy a mathematician's brain). But shopping there is good and a few good restaurants too. While you're in Lough Hyne area try the nearby walk to the hilltop which has magnificent views for miles and worth the effort (God be with the days when we dragged a buggy with child up there - I should have qualified for entry to the SAS on that alone). It's probably your first trip so I won't overload the information where to avoid warm pints and cold publicans. Try a trip to Castletownshend and visit the local churchyard - teeming with history and holds the resting place of the authors of The Irish RM (Edith Somerville) and others.

Kinsale:- Beautiful, Expensive and Very Expensive. Usually full of traffic and nobody knowing where they are going. Charlesfort and Jamesfort worth a visit. The abbey in Timoleague is a good place to spend some time. It might take you back to your school days with Tigh Molaga (poem). The Old Head of Kinsale is a beautiful short drive but has some good scenery.

Baltimore:- End of the road town. It is beautiful though, but not too much to do unless you take the ferry to Cape Clear. Plenty of opportunities for your camera in and around Baltimore with spectacular photo options of the harbour, yachts and sunsets. Schull is a beautiful village and has spectacular views and quite a bit of history too.

Roscarbery or Rosscarberry:- Quaint town, fairly quiet, limited in restaurants but Celtic Ross Hotel just down the road might have some entertainment on. Occasionally, a local artist can be seen painting landscapes near the hotel. Have a look at his work. The area has good picnic tables inside and outside of the town. Be careful with your children as the main road there would see Lewis Hamilton overtaken by some of the local hoodie wearers as they scream through at high speed in their suped up cars.

Last edited:
Leper - I really appreciate your very detailed post - thank you so much - looks like Clonakilty it is then!!

What he said.

Also, if you are interested in stone circles (and who isn't), there's one in Rosscarbery

I'd base myself in the one town as everywhere is not a long drive away. Saves the packing/unpacking etc.

And if you're going to Timoleague, try to see the mosaic in the Cof I church. It has a very interesting story

There are many stories of historical interest linked to the mosaics. Perhaps the most unusual concerns the mosaic memorial on the south wall. This was paid for by the His Highness, the Maharajah of Gwalior, India; in gratitude of a locally born doctor, Aylmer Martin Crofts. Originally from the townland of Concamore, Crofts was his personal physician for twenty years and, on one occasion he helped to save his son’s life. Architect Jeremy Williams who wrote in ‘A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland 1937-1921’ said that this church “transcended the sectarian divide between Irish Catholic and Protestant, the Indian Muslim and Hindu, personal friendship breaking up hereditary distinctions of caste and colour.”

Apologies for not mentioning Drombeg Stone Circle. We were there a couple of weeks ago during the good weather. Beautiful Spot and steeped in history. I met my first self confessed pagan while we were there. She was standing between two of the stones in the circle with her eyes closed and appeared to be meditating, feeling the slight breeze and soaking up the sound of the trees and whatever "energy" from the stones and generally just enjoying herself quietly . Restaurants being closed, we usually travel with a couple of flasks of boiling water to make tea. She accepted Mrs Lep's offer of a cup of Barry's and we had an interesting conversation regarding paganism. Like Johnny Cash wrote:- I came away with a different point of view. Let's hope I'm seen as the Good Leper and not excommunicated.

I don't know if it is proper that I should suggest the following shop in Schull (also a shop in Kinsale) but Enibas jewellery (made locally with Celtic inspiration) is on demand everywhere (Kilkenny shops etc) I've recently learned from our grandaughter. You can spend as much or as little as you wish, but I'm told (by guess who!) it's terrific value. We've met Sabine (enibas backwards) in her Schull shop where it's run by her husband and herself. Give it a whirl if you wish; you could become the most popular grandad/husband/father in Irish History. It doesn't break the bank either.

If this post is considered inappropriate, please feel free to delete.

I don't know if it is proper that I should suggest the following shop in Schull (also a shop in Kinsale) but Enibas jewellery (made locally with Celtic inspiration) is on demand everywhere (Kilkenny shops etc) I've recently learned from our grandaughter. You can spend as much or as little as you wish, but I'm told (by guess who!) it's terrific value. We've met Sabine (enibas backwards) in her Schull shop where it's run by her husband and herself. Give it a whirl if you wish; you could become the most popular grandad/husband/father in Irish History. It doesn't break the bank either.

If this post is considered inappropriate, please feel free to delete.
thanks for that big fan of Enibas jewellery

We're on a roll
Another jeweller, if you are taken by the Baltimore Beacon, or fucias at the side of the road
No connection, except I bought my wife one, her being from west Cork.

All this talk of West Cork makes me want to head down there again for the day.

No connection, except I bought my wife one, her being from west Cork.

All this talk of West Cork makes me want to head down there again for the day.

Well today was stunning in Schull; the first really warm sunny day we've had this year! And Bantry Market was hopping!

Last edited:
Well today was stunning in Schull; the first really warm sunny day we've had this year! And Bantry Market was hopping!
If you want to visit Aoife O'Mahony's place of work, it is just beyond the West Cork Hotel in Skibbereen where you take a right and an almost immediate right again into a small enterprise estate. Aoife's premises are without sign, but is the small premises furthest right when you enter. If you are walking from the hotel, it'll take you about 3 minutes. Her work is excellent and if you are seeking that precious present for a loved one, you could do worse than visiting.

[Our Sat Nav went crazy just as we passed West Cork Hotel and from within 30 seconds of Aoife O'Mahony's premises informed us we had another 8kms to go - so keep my directions in mind if you are visiting]

She converted several of Mrs Lep's damaged old valuable rings into a magnificent ring increasing its personal value. We'll be paying another visit to Aoife O'Mahony shortly for another ring to be "built" as per Mrs Lep's wish.

Last edited:
Back