West Coast of USA 16 Days July 09

kellyr4

I hope to a 16 day road trip next July from LAX to San Francisco airport. Below is what I am thinking of doing. Anybody who has done a similar trip, your opinions and advice are very welcome. It will be myself, partner and 3 year old daughter travelling.

Fly to LAX

Rent convertible mustang or something similar.

2 nights at Disneyland Anaheim. Distance 35 miles.

4 nights Santa Monica. Distance 40 miles. Visit Venice Beach, Universal Studios, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive etc.

5 nights San Diego. Distance 130 miles. Visit beach, Seaworld, Zoo, Possibly Tijuana but heard it can be a bit dodgy with a child?

3 nights Santa Barbara. Distance 300 miles. Not too sure what to do here apart from the beach.

2 nights San Franciso. Distance 340 miles. Visit Alcatraz, shopping.

Should we include say Monterey or Carmel in the trip and spend maybe a night less in San Diego or Santa Barbara?

Looks good, you could probably see hollywood, venice beach, rodeo drive etc. all in one day if you get up early. Its nice to see but you're not gonna spent that long there! Universal is about an hour drive from anahiem so you could add that in in your second day there? Or just base yourself in Newport/long beach where you can relax one day & see attractions the next?

You will spend a day in Alcatraz between getting tickets, the ferry & tour so may want more time there if you want to spend time shopping! Also, the wine country outside san fran are nice

Take the coast roads (takes a bit longer) instead of the motorways, you will pass through monterey, carmel, santa barbara & more. Again, all nice to see but you may find more excitemnt elsewhere.

if you wanted to revise anything i would suggest palm springs, vegas, pheonix. All are spectacular. you could see the grand canion, hoover dam, desert etc, etc

I absolutely love the west coast & you will never get to see everything but you will want to go back every year!!

3 nights in Santa Barbara is 3 nights to much in my view ;) - it's a pretty town, but I found it pretty dull !.... I'd certainly scale back at least a night here and add it to SF or stop in between Santa Barbara and SF.

Don't underestimate the semi permanent gridlock in the LA area o... might make more sense to start in San Diego, then Anaheim, then Santa Monica .. at least you're going in the same direction then ... distances aren't large, but sitting in a traffic jam more times than necessary on the choked Freeway system isn't much fun either - e.g. driving from San Diego to Santa Barbara the traffic could easily add 2 hours to your journey.

Done some similar trips before but not with kids. I think first off I would question a convertible with a 3 year old, not practical IMHO, the reason is because of sun protection, safety and space- in most convertibles there is very little room in the boot....sorry trunk when the top is down.

Apart from that the trip looks very manageable, though I think that you could spend less time in Santa Monica, San Diego, and Santa Barbra as they are quite similar and maybe take in somewhere like Yosemite NP instead which is excellent. Monterey is also worth a visit, I would personally give a bit extra to San Fran over the likes of Santa Monica but others may not agree. California is amazing so I sure you will enjoy no matter what your itinerary. I hope you enjoy.

was in california in june. did 3 nights san fran... plenty...
1 night carmel... very beautiful but 1 night is enough.... zzzz
3 nights santa barbara ... could have stayed here a week!!! loved it loved it loved it... we arrived on a friday and left on a monday and stayed right at the board walk... harbor view inn... HIGHLY recommend it.Maybe it was just the time of week that we were there but it was really the liveliest place along the way to san diego. think weekends in all these places makes a difference. we then went on to santa monica for 1 night... HATED IT!! but again think this was because it was a monday and we found it like a ghost town... off we headed then down the coast road through malibu etc until san diego.... LOVED IT we spent 5 nights here. now we dont have a baby so we really appreciated the lively evenings in town. we didnt go mad in the pubs or anything but the streets are buzzing in the gas lamp quarter where we stayed (hilton gas lamp.. great)
then we went back to LA for 2 nights and we loved it as were only there 2 nights. stayed in hollywood renaissance.. couldnt have asked for closer to everything or a nicer hotel. drove down rodeo drive, up beverly hills. great but 2 days enough. didnt do disneyland.

i would second the op about a convertible. i wouldnt do this with a baby as you're really restricting yourself space wise. we have a big jeep thing with loads of space. we met a couple with a convertible and their friends had gotten a lift from them and said it was awful in the back seat... no room.

alcatraz freezing so layer up. san fran is changeable from street to street weather wise!!!

san diego is probably your best family destination. we loved sea world the big kids that we are!!!

Is there a reason your route zig zags up and down the coast?

Some comments on your destination list.

Santa Barabara has some great wineries around, there's easily a day in that (I would arrange a driver!). They're often set up for picnics with lots of open space so child friendly.

Santa Monica - way too long there. I would half your time. Have you checked out the attractions at Universal Studios? Much more teen/twenty something esque than Disney, not really much for a 3 year old.

San Francisco, it's a long way to go for 2 nights. I would add at least another night there.

San Diego I think you have almost right, maybe 4 nights? Wouldn't go near Tijuana with a child. Last time we almost went the queues at the border were 4 hours each way!

Other options, as suggested I would add Newport or Laguna Beach (no it's not really like on MTV) for a night or two.

There's an amazing outlet at Palm Springs you might want to stop off at along the way. CK suits for $99!

Finally the car, we are lucky enough to have friends in So. Cal. who until last month had a Mustang Convertible which they lent to us on our visits. For a day here or there it's fun but it's definitely not a road trip car, not very child friendly and the boot is way too small.

Did this trip a few years ago and would suggest San Luis Obispo - its worth checking out Hearst Castle and staying at the Madonna Inn, all the rooms are themed super kitsch, we stayed in the cave room. Dining room is like a Barbara Cartland nightmare. http://www.madonnainn.com/ Also Big Sur is really great an check out the Post Ranch Inn, Big Sur, I don't think they allow children to stay but worth going there for lunch.

We spend the same amount of time two years ago driving around Calafornia we arrived in LAX based ourselves in Santa Monica (not very impressed with it) used it for a base for 4 days to do theme parks and general look around then drove up to San Francisco stopped two night on way up in Pismo Beach (teenagers with us wanted use facilities) three days in San Fran. and then drove to Vegas went to see the Grand Cannon and then to San Diego for last few days in nice hotel just to relax. We had plenty of time to do all this and still not feel wrecked we drove about 3000 miles. Great holiday - dont know how that would work with such a young child though.

I agree a convertible would be a HUGE mistake with a 3yr old.

Perfect for a romantic getaway for two.
Speaking from bitter experience.

Just back from 11days in September, travelling from Los Angelos to San Diego, to Santa Cruz to San Francisco with 2 teens in the back of a mustang convertible.

Impossible to put the top down because too hot or too windy for backseat passengers.

San Diego was wonderful. we only had 1.5 days and not nearly enough.

I would shop in Malls/ Outlets rather than wait for San Francisco.
We waited till we gave back our mustang to shop and it was too late really.
The Fisherman's Wharf area is full of stuff but overpriced and dare i say, tacky.
The Golden Gate Park in San Francisco is divine and you would love relaxing there with a little one.

enjoy your trip.
I would return tomorrow if i could.

Back