Were we missold home insurance/credit agreement?

ilovecheese

Hi,

I rang my brokers today to find out why the amount being DD'd did not add up to the amount they quoted me. They told me its because there is a 6.5% charge for paying for your policy by direct debit. I queried why i was never told about this and they told me they didnt have to tell me in a letter or on the phone as it was stated on the direct debit mandate. They sent me a copy of the direct debit mandate we recieved at the time (which admittedly my other half filled out and signed).

Turned out the direct debit they had sent us and we had returned was not a direct debit for a home insurance policy but rather a direct debit for a credit agreement with another company (not the insurance co or the brokers themselves) which charged 6.5% interest. I know we filled it out but we never registered that it was anything other than a straight forward DD for an insurance policy

Basically they had bought a home insurance policy in our name and sold us a credit agreement with 6.5% interest. They never told us this and this was not what we asked for. They admit they never told us this as they "didnt have to, it was on the DD mandate"

We asked for Home insurance, filled out a home insurance proposal form, our letter of acceptance only said 'if you want to pay by DD please let us know' not 'if you want to pay by DD you will have to take out a credit agreement with 6.5% interest'

Does this constitute non-disclosure/false advertising ? - we have a loan in our names with a credit company we never hear of when we thought we were buying insurance

Last edited:
I don't think so.

They sold you a policy-presumably you have a policy in your name and it provides the cover you requested?

The information on the finance and finance provider was on the document signed and returned by your other half.

A finance charge is standard in any insurance policy I have seen that allows for payment by direct debit.

Even the direct debits through the companies have a charge of roughly 6%. If it was on the mandate and it was signed then you were informed. Personally I always run through direct debit procedures etc but not everyone does I'm sure.
Moral of the story, read before you sign!

Back