"Well, there's no recession on here"!

DeeFox

A friend who manages a restaurant says that if she got a euro for every time she has heard this phrase from customers that she could retire to the Bahamas. But I'm driving myself crazy....every time I go into a restaurant and have to wait for a seat or when I see people queing to pay for their weekly shop in Marks and Spencers I can't stop myself from saying or thinking "well, there's no recession on here". I'm annoying myself but can't help it. I've managed to stop myself from saying it out loud but any suggestions for how I can stop this boring refrain from entering my head??!

Go to a furniture shop or a "super" pub.

On the same line, and I know its tough for alot of people, but there's no widespread hardship out there, its certainly not in line with the worst recession since the 30s.

Up until this month, if you had a job, hadn't taken a pay cut, did not work in the public sector and were not trying to sell a house, then financially, you were little or no worse off then previous. if anything with increased competion, deflation on prices etc, bargain sales then you may be even better off

It will be interesting to see the story this month when everyone gets hit in their pocket due to the tax rises

To all intents and purposes quite a lot of the country are not affected by the downturn. Talk of 12% - 14% unemployment means that there are 86% - 88% working. Take public sector workers into the equation and you get the picture. On the other hand if you're grocery shopping for four people and you change to Lidl/Aldi, you can save possibly e2K pa. That can be spent elsewhere. Likewise not buying a newer car will leave another decent chunk in your pocket after bank payments. The same amount of money going around but in a more visible way. That's my take on the subject, admittedly without figures to back it up.:)

I thought exactly the opposite walking round Dundrum on several occasions recently - place was jammers but the signs up announcing mid-season reductions, sales, price's cut etc. etc.

Also, try looking at the ads and prices for new apartment developments, particularly outside Dublin... backside seems to have fallen so far out of the 'shoebox-on-a-shelf' market that it nearly makes you feel sad for developers and estate agents (I stress nearly).

Another game to play is spot the highest number on an 09 reg car that you can find - this one's great fun because its so rewarding to find one in the first place - then you can marvel at how low the number is. It strangely opposite to that that game we played in 2000/01 when the numbers reached six figures in Dublin at startling quick pace!!

We never had it so good (a number of years ago)!!!

Another game to play is spot the highest number on an 09 reg car that you can find - this one's great fun because its so rewarding to find one in the first place - then you can marvel at how low the number is. It strangely opposite to that that game we played in 2000/01 when the numbers reached six figures in Dublin at startling quick pace!!

We never had it so good (a number of years ago)!!!

I had an interesting conversation with my neighbour who is a car salesman (but he is a nice guy, really!). He said that they make very little money on a new car (around €500), due to all the dealer incentives that they have to get involved in. He told me that it is in their best interests in sell good second hand cars as they make a lot more money on them. In fact he related the story of a buyer to whom he sold a one year old car to who could have got a brand new car of the same model for the same price. He said he felt a little bit sorry about it, but his job and the company relied on him making as much money as possible and selling the second hand car netted a couple of grand.

So that could be depressing the new car market as well...

I was told I'd have to wait 20 minutes for a table in a restaurant at lunch time today and did find myself thinking 'where's the recession'. However, reading the menu on the way out I realised that all of the main courses were €10, so I suppose that could have explained it.

Its a useful phrase to slag someone (light heartedly) after they announce or are seen with a new purchase.

Its a useful phrase to slag someone (light heartedly) after they announce or are seen with a new purchase.

Can understand a laugh and a joke...but I got a new car last week and on the evening I drove it home coming down the naas road I had 2 different sets of people beep and stick up their fingers (and I did not cut out in front of them or anything). How bizzare.

Can understand a laugh and a joke...but I got a new car last week and on the evening I drove it home coming down the naas road I had 2 different sets of people beep and stick up their fingers (and I did not cut out in front of them or anything). How bizzare.

Well we are the land or begrudgers so that probably explains it. Anyone with a brain knows you are helping the country in its hour of need - fair play to you.

Unreal. Sounds like something out of Killinaskully.

Madness, its the old begrudery thing. Someone posted this a while back on another thread i think it went something like :

In America if someone had a Ferrari and pulled up people would say, "hey man, nice car, hope to have one like that some day". Here it's "flash git".

Enjoy the car MandaC .

On the topic of Irish begrudery I am amazed by the popularity of websites that have appeared where Irish people post what seems to be their delight in the economic difficulties the country faces. One particular website in question seems to have been a spin-off from here.

Do people really have that big of a chip on their shoulder that it makes their day much better to know people who enjoyed the boom (although sometimes excessively) are now suffering and others are loosing jobs. Is this a very "Irish" thing or is this worldwide I wonder.

I'm not going to advertise it. It ain't hard to find if you google about the Irish economic slump and the causes of it.

I found it with ease. :D

I can honestly say that despite paycuts and short time working plus increased taxes/levies there has been little change in our household living standards.

Next month we are going to New York and I have had a few people give me a "nice for some" sneering begrudgery comments as if I ought to be ashamed of myself :(. It's a trip we have saved hard for. During the heydays we didn't borrow 7 times our income for an overpriced house we couldn't ever hope to afford, we continued renting, often being laughed at for our "stupidity", didn't buy a new car ( still driving a 2001 Megane bought in 2002 and a 1999 Clio bought a couple of years ago) didn't fill the house with expensive gadgets bought on a credit card and apart from a week in Italy 4 years ago holidays were in Ireland/England/Wales.

The fact is not everyone, either by sheer luck or design, is in as dire circumstances as the media would have us all believe. I am not gloating but I really don't know why I should be made to feel guilty about being in an ok financial position either

Back