Welcome to Ireland, Now Turn Around.

D

daltonr

I just got back to Ireland after 3 weeks away.
As I wandered off the plane and into the Airport the
first thing I saw was a big westlife poster with the
word "TURNAROUND".

I had to read it twice because initially I thought it was
a public service announcement advising tourists to get back on the plane and find a better place to spend their holiday.

Incidently in 3 weeks of airport hopping in the USA (which we like to think of as an overly commercial society) I didn't once have ads played to me while I was waiting for my Bags. In Dublin I did (while waiting over half an our for the bags to find their way from the Plane)

In 3 weeks of driving in the USA I was in one minor traffic jam. In Ireland I hit a traffic jam as soon as I left the Airport, and it didn't ease up until I got passed the Toll Bridge.

Usually when I come home I think, that the US is a nice place to visit but I'm glad to be home. This is the first time that hasn't happened.

-Rd

Isn't Magic America turning into a Police State? - what with finger printing visitors etc.

Much as I hate Ireland, I think I'd hate America even more.

Re: .

I'm no fan of the finger printing. (actually it's an electronic scan rather than actually taking your prints with ink etc).

I never did like the idea of going to the States to live. But I've really grown to dislike Ireland quite intently over the past two or three years.

As for whether it's a police state. I did see a lot more Police. I never felt in danger, even in cities at night. And a surprisingly high percentage of people seemed to obey the speed limits.

They are ruthless in enforcing speeding over there, but if you are caught you can have the points removed from your licence by agreeing to go to a drivers education class.

When I explained our policy of having the points doubled if you challenge it Jaws dropped. They couldn't believe it.

Tell me who's got the police state????

-Rd

Re: .

Hi daltonr,
I have been in the states recently as well and was struck again by how well mannered people were. Kids in the street in most areas are civil and respectful to each other and strangers, and the levels of abuse to strangers that have been highlighted on LOS over the last few weeks are not tolerated.

levels of advertising in Ireland.

Daltonr - I, too, am always struck by the volume and aggressiveness of the advertising in Ireland. It is particularly disorientating at Dublin Airport, especially if you have had a long flight, to walk along the escalators literally flanked with hundreds of repetitive insistent images. On reaching the carousels following directions on luggage-arrival is made difficult by advertisements broadcast on the screens. Get a trolley and that too has ads. Dublin's train stations - especially Heuston - are also becoming one huge advertisement and the beauty and simplicity of Wren's architecture disappears behind it! However isn't this the capitalist dream - wherever there's a bit of money there will be steerage towards stuff on which to spend it!

Re: levels of advertising in Ireland.

However isn't this the capitalist dream - wherever there's a bit of money there will be steerage towards stuff on which to spend it!

I used to believe that there was an inevitability that every available space would be covered with Ads. But if that were the case America (Hyper Capitalist Society that it is) would be much worse than it is.

Yes they have too many Ads on TV and Radio, but TV3 is getting there.

There is a movement in parts of the States now to roll back the number of Billboards etc. They are seen as an eyesore.

At least direct marketing hasn't reached USA levels here yet. But give it time. It's well on the way.

I had my first trip to an Irish "Mall" (Shopping Center) since my return. Took 20 minutes to find parking, then couldn't get any cash because there were about 30 people in each queue to the ATM's. Got back in the car and left.

It's almost like the only thing to do in Dublin on a Sunday is go to a Shopping Center.

-Rd

levels of advertising in Ireland.

Daltonr - one of the most depressing things about living here in the UK is the "Sunday shopping" which a friend describes as "the new worship".

Opening-time of all the megastores, DIY, furniture, "life-style" sector, themeparks etc. tends to be 10.00 till 4.00 so at 11.00 any residential street is empty; they've all hared off to drive anything from 20 to 60 miles to "buy buy buy"......or to look at things to buy.

Dire!

Well at least Ireland's got the saving grace of beautiful countryside and shoreline where you're not innundated with consumer images and there is space to breath.

Marie - we cartainly have our own temples of stuff.
Liffey Valley, The Square, Blanchardstown.

People love it they do!

No Logo

For more on advertising filling every available space, read Naomi Klein's book, No Logo.

Back