Weird one odd ping on laptop

Frank

Now and again I get a sound effect on the laptop, similiar to when you connect a usb device.

It only happens for a seond and is very random.

With the speakers on I get ding ding : ding ding with a second.

Can't see anything or catch anything.

No messages pop up.

Laptop has wifi and Bluetooth.

A bit annoying.

Any ideas appreciated.

1. Open My Computer by double-clicking on the icon on the desktop.
  2. Right-click on the drive letter that you wish to check for errors (usually C:) and click on the Properties menu item.
  3. Choose the "Tools" tab and click on the Check Now... button.
Sound to me like you may have a hard drive problem on the horizon.

Save any important documents to an external source and test your drive as per the above .

Check your audio speakers .Maybe they have been turned up to the highest point .

Ran a HDD test no problems.

I have a feeling it is somehing else.

Just don't know what.

Is there a way to log what connects, I suspect more than likely something wireless.

I get the same here every so often with my laptop .... I haven't a clue what it is.

It is a definite and quick audible ping.

No but the little symbol that comes up down the bottom right does appear as if some external device is connecting.

and have you any external devices connected?

any web browser open which may be on a page with sound effects?

any software running? run taskman (ctr+alt+del) and see whats running. stop processes and eliminate.

It's not the clock pinging on the hour ? It's just my colleagues laptop does that five past the hour.

Any chance someone could be piggybacking on your connection? Are you within range of other devices e.g. walls of semi-detached house etc when this happens?

In an apt so am surrounded by various unknowns.

Connection is protect wep and looking at the router setup only me connected.

I think I've discovered the reason for my 'audible ping'.

I alternate between cable and wireless in my house. No ping when physically connected.

My wireless covers local (e.g. wireless printer) and internet. On the odd occasion that I lose connection with the internet the laptop pings to tell me!

I get the same thing every so often. No idea what it is, theres no pop-ups or anything.

Had a look at the devvice manager.

Under drisk drives there was a mmc disk device error 10.

tried update driver it said the latest was already installed.

Disabled then enabled again.

Will keep an eye on it, might be worth a look.

MMC seems to be the memory card reader built in to some laptops.

Fingers crossed thats it.

If you're running Windows, you should be able to open Control Panel and check the Sounds to see what system event that sound is associated with. If you're lucky, it won't be a generic event like "Question". You might be able to narrow your list of possible causes.

Now and again I get a sound effect on the laptop, similiar to when you connect a usb device.It only happens for a seond and is very random.
Do you run Skype or something like that? It makes small noises when your contacts come online and go offline.

Turn off bluetooth. It's probably trying to connect to every discoverable mobile phone that comes into range as your neighbours move around.

Back