Weekend way in Europe or Ireland?

Newbie!

I've just decided in the last few mins too book a weekend away in early Feb for my me and my husband. Would you pick a weekend in Ireland or Europe? If Europe, what city? Value for money will probably be a major factor in my decision.

Re: Wkd way in Europe or Ireland?

Be patriotic and spend you mooolaahh in Ireland!!

Kidding, while there are lots of fantastic places in Ireland, but personally I would take the chance to see somewhere in Europe that I haven't seen.

Next on my list is a return to Berlin. Couldn't recommend Barcalona enough and Rome has so much to see it's unreal. I spent a weekend in Brescia a few years ago too and found it very relaxing.

You could try or www.gohop.ie and see if you can tailor it for what you can afford.

Pesonal experience: found gohop great. Book flights to New Orleans before Katrina happened. When it did they managed to get me a refund through Loop Hole in Amercian Airlines T&C's

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=115498

Re: Wkd way in Europe or Ireland?

In February I would I head towards snow or sunshine

Munich is great fun with lots to see & do plus ski resorts are only an hour or so away so you can sightsee in the alps or hit the slopes. Only downside is the value as its not a cheap city by "cheap" european city standards it is much better value than Ireland though.

For Sunshine the Caneries/Majorca or Southern Spain are nice to head to for weekend, I have been on birthday a few times and its been in the low 20's.

I haven't been yet but I have had reports from two different couples that Krakow was great for a weekend city break. Would be very cold in February though!

I would say most (not quite all, but most) places Ryanair fly to are worth it for a weekend. I have been to 30 or 40 of their destinations by now and had a great time at each. There are all the obvious ones like Amsterdam, Prague, Kraków, Munich, Berlin, Barcelona and the like... Here are a few you might not have considered yet:

* Anywhere in Scandinavia will be beautiful with all the snow - hotels and food could be pricey though.

* In Germany, I find Bremen to be a great city. You can hop over to Hamburg from there as well (1 hour on the train) but honestly, I think Bremen is much cooler itself.

* Further East, I very highly recommend Vilnius. Amazing place, beautiful old buildings and very educated people. Everyone speaks great English, everything is in perfect nick. You could never, ever tell this used to be the Soviet Union.

* Gdańsk is a great city in Poland, also has a very cool old town and should look beautiful in February.

* A weekend road-trip I did before was this: Fly to Frankfurt-Hahn, hire a car, drive to Trier (less than 1 hour away). This city has lots of ruins from Roman times to offer. Then, drive on to Luxembourg (1 hour). Luxembourg is charming and there is a lot to see. Either stay here for the rest of the weekend and then drive back to Frankfurt-Hahn for your return flight (1.5 hours) or explore Luxembourg country a bit (as in, leave Luxembourg city behind and see the countryside).

Really, you cannot go wrong with most Ryanair destinations. Just look for cheap flights, Google the potential destinations and you will find there is lots to do at every single one.

Would second Krakow as a lovely destination for a weekend break, having been there recently.

Having said that, there is some fantastic value to be had in ireland on special offers. I have book a mid-week (Wed - Fri) 3 night B&B with 2 Evening meals for €238 total.

I do quite a lot of travel with work, so going to the airport seems like work to me ;-) but that's a personal choice I suppose.

Back