Weekend in Venice - advice greatly welcome

apple1

Hi,
Heading to venice next weekend for three days. I'd appreciate any advice on what to do there, i.e. stay wandering around Venice and/or attempt day trips to neighbouring cities. Any and all advice greatly appreciated as we've had no chance to research due to short notice. Thanks, apple1

Verona is well worth the trip. Get the train from Ferrovia in Venice. Visit Juliets house (Romeo and Juliet) and see the famous balcony. Roman ampitheatre in the centre and good shopping too.
Padova (Padua) also worth seeing, especially St Anthony's Cathedral and the Prato della Valle (the largest square in Europe)
tip: Before you leave book tickets for St Mark's Basilica on the net http://www.alata.it/eng/BOOKING/sanmarco.asp and it will save all the queuing!

Hi,

We stayed in a small hotel called Ca Dogaressa and found it really nice and quite reasonably priced. The hotel is located in a quieter area of Venice, which was a real bonus. The owners are very friendly, but the best part of the stay is breakfast on the canal. We booked it with venere.com. You can have a look at the reviews at the following address:
Dohttp://en.venere.com/hotels_venice/cannaregio_ovest/hotel_ca_dogaressa.html

Tiv

Hi,

We stayed at the Hotel American. A fabulous little hotel in a quieter area but within easy reach of St. Marks / Grand Canal. They charge more for a room with a canal view though, as do most hotels in Venice.
Take a trip on the 'Vaporetto' - the canal bus service. it costs pennies and is a cheap way of seeing the whole city without getting totally ripped off by the gondoliers.
Do not attempt to eat or drink anywhere near St Marks Square as you will be totally ripped off!
There are plenty of more reasonable bars / restaurants in the quieter side streets away from the crowds.
One more thing, there is a speed boat taxi service from the airport to the island which although not cheap (approx. €100 for 30min trip) is a brilliant way to start your weekend. Tell the driver you want to enter via the Grand Canal as he may just take you a quicker way.
Enjoy!

i don't think i'd bother making any day trips away from venice, there's so much to see and do there, for me one of the best things was just wandering around the city as everywhere you go there are magnificent things to see. i really enjoyed the trip to the original jewish ghetto and the peggy guggenheim museum. you're going at a great time too as there won't be as many tourists around. enjoy!

Thanks all.

DerekO.....any other tips accomodation wise. Like most, looking for good location, clean accomodation @ keen prices. Not much I know!

There's plenty to keep you occupied in Venice for three days without the need of venturing outside. Even if you do nothing more than chill out and absorb the atmos, it's time well spent.

Verona is nice but best seen in the fine weather. Same goes for Lido de Jesolo, the nearest beach resort. This is the perfect time to visit Venice. Enough tourists to make it feel full but not the hordes of people you'd experience during the Summer.

If you're on a budeget, a good clean hotel with all the basic amenities you'd need is the Hotel Locanda Gaffaro (www.gaffaro.com). It's a good hoof from St Mark's Square and the main shopping area, but still accessible bt foot (and bridge of course!). If the budeget would stretch, I'd recommend the much more centrally located Hotel Palace Bonvecchiati.

For hotel deals, try hotelcomparisons.com

Back