Weekend in Glasgow

Anto318

Hi all,

I'm heading over to Glasgow this weekend and do have any ideas of where to go/what to do.

Can anyone recommend some attractions to visit and anything worth seeing. I have a car rental so don't mind traveling outside of Glasgow.

Also, can anyone recommend some good restaurants and pubs/clubs.

Thanks in advance.
AM

Hi Anto

Don't know your age group or interests, but here's a few ideas anyway:

[broken link removed]

Well worth a visit, only minutes from the city centre. Take the clockwork orange ( the underground train) for a different & very easy way of getting there. You'll see stations well signposted around the city centre.
The link above has links to other museums, the Burrell Collection etc.

If you feel the need for fresh air & the weather's ok, it's only a half hour drive out to Loch Lomond. And that's not far from the fairly well signposted designer clothes outlets in Alexandria, they are waaay cheaper than the city centre shops.

For food & drink - right on a corner of George Square, you'll find The Counting House. Although it's a Wetherspoon place, it's neither as rowdy, overpacked or downmarket as some of their other places. A converted bank, it's a fab building, with cheap food & drink.

From George Square heading west up the hill there are any number of good restaurants of varying price brackets. On Buchanan Street ( a pedestrianised street right in the city centre) there's a better than usual TGI Fridays.

If you tell me more about what you're interested in, I'll try to be more specific in my recommendations.

Hi Jock,

Thanks very much for the info you've given already. I am working over in Irvine this week and I said that I'd take advantage of my trip over so I'm bringing my girlfriend over on Friday and we are planning on staying the weekend in Glasgow.

We are both in our early 20s. So we would be interested in some recommendations for pubs/nightclubs and another other restaurants that you can think of.

I have a car for the weekend and wouldn't mind seeing some of the sites outside Glasgow maybe Loch Lomond as you pointed out.

Any other information that you can give would be great.

Thanks again,
AM

Well, any reason to get out of Irvine is a good reason! :D

If you haven't booked a room yet, Bewleys is in a decent spot & the rooms are grand. Ask for one on the upper floors facing front, and you'll get a pretty decent view of the city.

Pubs - The Drum & Monkey on St. Vincent Street is an old favourite of mine. Cool decor, big comfy chairs & couches. Just down the road from there - opposite Central Station, is a great place to stock up on cheap drinks before you hit the nightlife. The Goose on Union Street, really cheap drinks, good mixed crowd, never seen any bother there at all. And if it's quiet enough, the grub is ok by pub standards.
Here's a good link to lots of pubs & clubs...
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/pubs.html#Bar_Soba

To be honest, most of the "Irish" pubs are either horribly plastic or are just slop-houses. I would'nt be in a rush to get to most of them & I'm not sure I'd be taking my GF into the area where most of them are, on a Friday or Saturday night.
It's a while since I did much clubbing in Glasgow, so I'll simply say that King Tut's used to be THE place, maybe still is, & leave you to browse the links I posted.

If you see anything specific & want to know more, just give me a shout. I'm sure there are others here too, who visit Glasgow often enough & can provide up to date info.

Hi Jock

Ive been to Glasgow for a few weekends and really love it!

If you need to book a hotel, I like the Radisson, it's central, modern, lovely design etc and often does good deals.

Restaurants-if you want to book somewhere nice for a treat the Ubiqitous Chip and Malmaison Brasserie are lovely. Both have websites so you can have a look. You could do Sunday lunch either which is slightly cheaper. Also Glasgow has some really great Indian restaurants.

Going out-I like the West End-Aston Lane area. Lots of lively bars, great atmosphere, v cheap drinks etc! Has a slightly more student/alternative crowd, hence the cheap drinks!

Also shopping is great, if you want to factor in some time for that.

If you are looking for a day trip, Edinburgh is only around an hour by train and a similar drive

Enjoy-its a great city

Back