Weeds/algae around small stones in garden

dillsquatt

Registered User
Messages
114
We have a horrible green type algae on our small stones in garden but also a lot of weeds.

In our garden originally we had artificial grass and it was old and probably not the best quality. The several storms lifted it in places so we replaced it by stones, we did put a membrane underneath.

Now we have a type of green algae in garden around stones but also a lot of weeds? What is the solution.

Should we just lift the stones and put down a new membrane. Looking for advise as no idea what to do. I know November time isn’t the best time to be doing this but it getting worse all the time and not nice to look out onto!

Thanks in advance
 
A few years ago 5 ish I changed form grass to stones about ten ton , because of the amount of moss . Before I put down the stones I also put down ' the best quality membrane you can get ' , I was told probably because it was the most expensive.
I had sprayed for weeds too.
Now I have lots of weeds coming through and moss growing along the ' best ' membrane.
So next year I'm going to take up all the stones and the, underlay , and sow grass again .
Its too big an area for artificial grass.
 
Take up the membrane, dig out the clay, dump it and backfill with crushed stone, ensuring you have adequate drainage.
 
I'm a great believer in old carpet face down to stop weeds under gravel, I have it in the garden under slate since 2000 and not a weed peeps up other than maybe at the edges where it manages to get in the gap between the carpet and brick border! Need to clear leaves etc off gravel this time of year or they compost down and give some soil on top of barrier which allows a few to germinate but easily pulled as they just can't get the roots down through the carpet. I used it in all the new beds I did in my daughter's garden as well, again a few weeds around the hole where the plants are but nothing in between.

Before anyone tells me this is environmental murder I don't think the membrane is such great stuff either. There is no bother get old carpet and it saves it going to landfill or as the last guy who gave me some for my daughter's garden said it saved him dumping it in the bog!
 
@dillsquatt - "weeds" have been hunted out of our gardens and green areas for so long, so they are very, very resilent :-) I have stones in borders and generally dust / dirt / soil gets into the stones area and the weeds will geminate.
What I found is that the stones need to be raked / turned / moved around every month or so to discourage growth of the weeds. Depending on the area, it may take time. Also, having a deep layer of stones is also a must.
 
We have a gravel driveway. My good wife hunts down weeds. Plucks them every time she sees them. In an area near our gate we pour weed killer over them. Probably twice a year. I also rake our gravel about twice a year.
 
also a lot of weeds
You've essentially trapped a layer of moisture which has also collected nutrients, and weeds LOVE nutrients and will take root places like that. The algae would indicate a build up of tiny organisms feedings off the delicious nutrients you've kindly kept for them rather than allowing it to run off.
I'd take out the membrane and provide most granular stones to the mix, perhaps a light weed/moss treatment and power wash over the lot. Make sure the area is properly draining so water doesn't get a chance to "sit" in the mix.
 
Back
Top