Wedding Ring!

dunner

Need some help folks!
I've decided the pop the question. Myself and my better half are going to Thailand in 3 weeks and I need to have it before then.
Problem is I don't where to start looking!
Can anyone give me some pointers? I've a budget of up to E4500. Looking for a platinum diamond.
Based in Dublin so preferably within the city limits.
Thanks all!

I presume you mean 'engagement ring' as opposed to 'wedding ring'?

If so, a search will throw up quite a few previous threads that may be of use.

Very romantic idea , having the ring. Trouble is you better be sure it is the right one. Has she dropped any serious hints on what she'd like. As in pointing and saying "that one."
She has to look at it the rest of her life so she should have some say in choosing it.,
How about a trial ring so you can pop the question but then she can choose what she wants.

I agree with the trial ring thing unless you know exactly what she wants and the real size. You can pick up a cheap ring in Argos for 30 or 40 euro and then buy the real thing afterwards.

Hubby got mine made by a family friend but there are some jewellery makers in town and in the phone book if you want to do something really special and get her a one off. I love the thought that nobody ever even tried on my ring, it was made just for me.

I would sugegst, for what it's worth, a cheapie solely for th epurposes of popping the question. the two of you can then pick out a decent one either at home or at a reputable jeweller abroad.

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but if the style you pick out is not deemed suitable by the wearer, then you are in trouble, especially if it cannot be exchanged.

Dunner
My brother is just back from Antwerp and seems to think he got a good deal there. Theres quite a few posts on rings in Antwerp in the forum

I would agree with the other posters who said to get a trial ring but I wouldn't go to Argos and buy one of those Elizabeth 'Chav' Duke ones either (sorry shesells)!
Why not get her a costume jewellery ring that she will wear again as the trial ring. Rhinestones in Dublin have lovely stuff.

With regard to the ring itself you should get a lovely one for your price range.

My fiance got a costume ring from River Island when he proposed which was a good idea and then we picked the ring the next day. I got a shock at first as i thought it was my ring until he said this is only for proposing with. Some girls i spoke said they would have preferred this as they are not happy with the ring that their fiance picked out and they cannot tell him especially if he got it measured to fit

My husband proposed with a 'fake' engagement ring (for want of a better description) which I now wear on my right hand and then we went to Antwerp to pick out the real ring a couple of months later - was perfect...

M

www.apollodiamond.us
Saw this crowd on CNBC. They are making REAL diamonds in the lab at a fraction of the price. These are real diamonds and are made using conditions that are the same as the real process and can not be identified as not diamonds.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions... and yes of course I do mean an engagement ring rather than a wedding ring. Sorry... thankfully I'm a newbie to all this!

Yeah I am worried that she won't like the ring but i've enlisted the help of her best friend to help me find the perfect one. We're going hunting on Saturday for it!
I think if we don't find one that we're absolutely sure she'll love then the fake ring might be an option... although a ring from Argos would end the marraige before it's even started!

If anyone has any specific places in Dublin that I can try on Saturday that would be a great help!

Thanks again... hopefully it'll all work out as planned!

Dunner

When I suggested Argos it was after I drew a blank trying to think where you can get costume rings. Obviously not as a recommendation, just food for thought.

I'd warned hubby not to presesnt a ring to me so we designed my ring weeks before he popped the question. Good thing too as we had VERY different opinions on the perfect ring.

PS - try the Powercourt Centre for amazing rings, Emma Stewart Liberty's stuff is amazing.

No disrespect to you or her best friend but I would still go the fake ring with this one. You don't know that the best friend will know what she wants either. Also sometimes what you think you like and might want may not suit the wearers hand so even your GF would be open to changing her mind on that one.
Personally I would be wearing the ring for the rest of my life and would want a definate say.
Good luck anyway.

I would go for a temporary ring regardless of what her friend says, for two reasons. It gives her the chance to get what she wants and secondly, God forbid, she may say no !

I hope not !!...good luck !

She could be like me and think that she wants a certain style of ring, only to try it on and discover that it really doesn't suit. Definitely go for temporary ring.

Well maybe I'm lucky but I picked the ring for my wife and she loved it and loved the fact that I got it myself so if you feel like this is what you want to do then go for it.

Try Boodles on Grafton Street.....expensive but worth it
Love, love, love their rings especially rain dance(Hope OH sees this)
Lots of really unusual rings in their Boodles Rings & Engagement Rings section

Have a good website www.boodles.co.uk

You know Red, they ahve a hint section for each item where they send your loved one an email 'hint' at what you would like.

Hope he has the readies , that ring is exp !( but lovely)

Back