wedding in Cavan stop about 1 hour from slieve russell

coleen

Hi
I will be traveling to Cavan from Kerry for a wedding shortly and want to stop about an hour away the evening before so I would like to travel approx 3 hours on the Friday evening. We would like to get up early and play a round of golf and be finished around 2 pm and then travel on to Cavan for the wedding at 3pm. So I am looking for a nice town to stay in that would have a golf course that does not cost the earth. Any recommendations ? I was thinking about athlone Hudson bay and Athlone Golf course or Glasson and their hotel but are there other places I should check out.

yes, the slieve russell is a fab hotel, with an inhouse leisure centre, great golf course, nice and quiet spot just outside ballyconnell. book a table for dinner in paul odi's (check spelling) but it is down the end of ballyconnell town and food is A* and lovely cozy atmosphere and try a couple of the local pubs too.

How about Mullingar ? Obviously biased as I live there but a few hotels to choose from and a great woodland golf course.
Other options would be Tullamore - you could play Esker Hills home club of Shane Lowry - or other nearby courses include Tullamore and New Forest.
Mullingar would be half an hour nearer the Slieve Russell than Tullamore.
Atlhlone would be a good choice too but check the drive time - both courses you have mentioned are beautiful and have several holes along the edge of the Shannon.
As you probably know Sat mornings tend to be very busy in golf clubs so other nearby options that might be quieter (and cheaper !) include Mount Temple and Delvin Castle (Mullingar option).
If it was me I would try to play the golf on the Friday as 18 holes before a wedding would have me heading to bed after the meal !!
Get in touch if you want any further info on what the midlands has to offer !

Last edited:
We cant play friday as we are working until 5pm hence the fact we onlt want to drive 3-3.5 hours on the friday evening. The round of golf on the morning will just give us an appetite for the meal so I will check out those places and I know lots of places have members time only on Saturday but hope fully we might be able to get a tee time on one of those.

Back