Wedding Costs

sparkles08

Hiya everyone,

Just wondering, I recently got engaged and we are obviously now thinking of the cost involved in the whole wedding process. I'm just wondering if anybody has got married recently or are maybe further along in their plans what was the average cost of the wedding?

I'm trying to get an idea of prices in Ireland (Dublin) compared with weddings abroad - we don't want a huge wedding we would like it to remain quiet intimate.

Sorry I don't know if this all sounds really vauge but maybe if people could jus throw some locations out or any tips that you found usefull when planning your wedding I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance

Wedding in 4 star hotel Louth.
Menu choices from 40 to 50 per head.
Wine average 21 euro a bottle(optional).
Band 1900.
Photographer 2000(album not incl but giving me all 400 photos he takes).
Suits? dont know yet.
Bridesmaid dresses: looking in or around 100 each hopefully - still looking.
Honeymoon: can be anything you want.
Flowers: going to source locally not going to put any in church to save the bobs.
Dress: 2250. I know I know crazy but I love it and I paid for it myself.
We are paying for wedding ourselves.

Cars: using family cars.
DJ: using hotel dj so 200 euro.
My shoes: 90 euro local shop.
Borrowing jewellery.
Borrowing veil.
Paying for bridesmaid hair on day.
Friend doing make up.
Have to buy bridesmaid shoes.
Donation to priest. approx 100 I think.
150 for pre wedding course.
150 to register marriage!

Prob leaving some things out but you get the idea.

and what about this - is it essential?!

thats a church thing - if you only want a civil ceremony you dont need to do it - some priests will also allow you not do it but in most cases if you want a church wedding you do the course.

Register with who exactly?

You have to pay €150 to the state to register 3months ahead with registrar.

Ways to save money are: to just get a dj - no band, go to smithfield and get your own flowers, don't spend €2000 on a dress (!), €2000 is expensive for a photographer with no album - shop around.

Don't forget the stag and hen nights.

The thing with weddings is that there are a lot of fixed costs - dress, suits, various fees etc that will be the same irrespective of how many guests you invite. The cost of feeding them obviously varies depending on the number, so don't get too hung up on the number of guests.

I did up a spreadsheet where I projected the costs of everything. If something went above the projected cost, something else would be shaved off a little to make up for it.

If I was doing it again I'd feck off somewhere to do it, and hire a room for a buffet bash when I got back.

I'm just wondering if anybody has got married recently or are maybe further along in their plans what was the average cost of the wedding?
I wouldn't worry about averages to be honest. Better to concentrate on what your realistic budget is and then plan to keep with that and your means.

Have you tried the discussion forums on www.weddingsireland.com ?

Don't forget the stag and hen nights.
My advice would be the opposite. Do forget about them. Moronic events at the best of times. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
To be honest I think we might be leaning towards taking maybe 10 of our close family and friends away with us for the wedding and just having a party for everyone else when we get back!!

I haven't actually gone on to that website to check the forums thanks for the tip clubman - I wouldn't be to bothered about a hen party but I think the soon to be Mr Sparkles might like to have a stags although I don#'t think he'l be doing a week long or even weekend long one I mean that money would half pay if not mostly pay for a honeymoon!!

It is good to see where most of the money is going thought thanks a mill!!
If anyone else has anymore tips keep them coming

Identify your total budget figure. Then itemise any potential costs. Ditch whatever you cannot afford.

I think that a lot of the figures you hear bandied around these days are very high! If family members are willing to pay for certain things like the band etc instead of buying you a present, and if you are from a small town like me you can get a good deal from a local hotel and local suppliers - doesn't cost anything remotely what it would cost in the likes of Dublin or Galway. Our wedding for 120 people + honeymoon cost 15k.
Scimp on stuff like invitations and favours etc they don't really add to the day.

You have to pay €150 to the state to register 3months ahead with registrar.

I remember having to register the intention to marry 3 months in advance but I don't remember paying for it and we only got wed in 2006....

Just googled it and this only came in in november 2007, how can they justify that when there used to be no charge???

Just to add, I asved a fortune by doing my own wedding stationery. We got a friend who has an artistic bent to draw up a few bits and then applied that across the stuff. All in it cost less than a hundred versus the several hundred it would have cost.

We saved a fortune by getting married on a monday. saved at least 20% on the quoted priced for everything because I used the fact it was a monday to haggle them down.

Another really good site is www.weddingsonline.ie and if you search it they have all this info there. Know of people who went abroad and they had an absolutely great day. One couple had their families and friends go with them and it was great.

Thundercat.

2k for photographer... you clearly havent hired a photographer for a wedding lately. Google and check out some prices.
Most prices are for 30 to 40 photos only and more exp than 2k and all photos extra after that at ridiculous prices. My way you get all 400 photos.

No, I haven't hired one, I'm just married to one :)
I know a lot of photographers and 2000 is expensive to not get an album and a lot of photographers will give you all the photos on disc afterwards these days anyway!

yip...registered last week...150 Euros. Just to fill out the form.

Another rip off. Disgusting.

Just googled it and this only came in in november 2007, how can they justify that when there used to be no charge???
There was definitely some charge back in 2004. Can't recall what it was offhand though.

We saved a fortune by getting married on a monday. saved at least 20% on the quoted priced for everything because I used the fact it was a monday to haggle them down.

Except you are then putting the cost ver to your guests who will be losing a days pay and possibly the tuesday aswell. Weekends are dearer but generally fairer on all involved.

Back