Web Design Help

G

gg

Senna as there is a good deal of web designers or IT people on this site can you guys help me out. I have designed a website in Frontpage , however i need to have a MS word file i.e and order form which can be downloaded from a Hyperlink. But when i attach the MS word file into the directory and test the link in preview it does not connect and open the MS Word file, can any one help , the MS Word file also has a JPEG inserted in it.

Thanks?

Thanks for all the help from all the supposed web/ IT people on this site , no wonder you are all looking for another job.

@

I think my chances fizzled out a long time ago, no, i have its very unusual given the amount of IT people hitting this site, maybe i should have add in something about a George Bush Word file, that seems to get the fire burning

Re: @

gg,

Clubman's right. Although...in the spirit of the site I'll try to get the ball rolling.
I'm not a website guy. I do work in IT. Just because you work in IT does not mean you know everything about everything.
You should also note that sometimes questions go unanswered. I've asked tonnes of questions that have had no replies. One recent one in the Homes & Gardens section.

I've never used Frontpage...only Dreamweaver but...
Can you provide a little more info? You have a word file on your PC and are linking to it on your site? When you test the site the link doesn't work? What happens when you click the link? Nothing? Does it try to open something? When you roll over the link is the address correct in the browser window?

Re: @

There's a good Frontpage forum here which might give you a more immediate answer. You could try this section.

Thanks

Thanks Piggy , I bow to your good nature.

I have designed a website if Front page but I have done basic ones in Dreaweaver also.

My problem is thus , when I create a Hyperlink to another web page it works fine, no problems there. But when I create it to a MS Word file or MS Word file it does not recognise the link when I try to "preview in browser"

I am basically trying to let people go into the site, and download an order form, any help would be much appreciated. PS What was your home and gardens question?

Re: Thanks

Hi gg,

was my question...but it's not all that important, honest :)

I actually have Frontpage here in work. Didn't realise I had it. I inherited this PC from someone else and it has so much on it I don't know what I have most of the time.
Anyway...I was successfully able to link to a file and preview in a browser successfully too.
Here's what I did.

<Insert> Hyperlink.
Then...chose the 'Make a hyperlink to a file from your computer'
Then browsed to a word doc.
The link looks like this.....file:///C:/Documents and Settings/blah/My Documents/blah.doc

Then saved it and previewed okay.

Is the above what you've done? Maybe there's something worng with the word doc. Have you tried another type of document?

Now...if you can answer some of my memory problems running mavenBuilder in cruisecontrol I'd be ever so grateful ;)

Thanks

Thanks Piiggy, i will try it but sounds like you have cracked it.When you preview the link and click on it what happens, does it ask you to down load the file or does it open up in a webpage? or just open up as word doc on your pc.

I was actually adding the file into my web folders.

PS

Laminate flooring, main difference is the amount of wood on each panel , cheap laminate is a thin layer of wood with a laminate coating.

Semi solid is a thick layer of wood with a laminate coating and so on to total wood panels.
To be honest the only difference is looks and the fact that semi solid can be sanded about twice , very lightly and then re varnished, where as laminate cannot, its a once of fitting.

Re: Thanks

Hi gg,

When I click on the link it automatically opens the word doc in the same browser window. You can then do a File - Save As. Didn't prompt me to open it or save it or anything like that.
Is that what you want...or do you want it to be a download only? The easy way around that is to specify Right click and save as to download the file to your desktop...yadda yadda...

Thanks for the info on laminates. That's sort of what I thought alright. Was just wondering out loud.

Back