Wealth Management - How to Invest €6M - Where to Get Advice

ETFs which are subject to general tax principles in which case your income would be tax free and your gains subject to capital gains tax at 33%
What are these ETF'S you speak of?
Do you have some examples please?

Clubman,

I have never heard anyone say dca is a bad move for a lay investor. By DCA, you are keeping your investing strategy consistent. You will buy some of a stock when it is cheap and when it is expensive so hopefully over time, it will limit the perceived risk of buying an item. If you lump sum into a single stock and it was at the bottom, great, good job, you maximised your return but no one truly knows the absolute bottom and there is no point trying to time the market.If you lump sum in when it peaked, well you just lost a fortune so thats why i prefer the dca strategy.. Similar to eating health, working out, and doing everything else in your life, do it in moderation and keep everything stable and consistent.

From a documentation POV. Since i stay away from ETF, how will you document all your purchases and keep on top of the documentation if you are DCA in every month. To me that seems like a headache to keep track of.

Please tell me how dca is pointless and detrimental.

Please tell me how dca is pointless and detrimental.
However, there is also evidence against DCA. Finance journalist Dan Kadlec of Time summarized the relevant research in 2012, writing: "The superior long-term returns of lump sum investing [over DCA] have been acknowledged for more than 30 years." Similarly, decades of empirical research on DCA have found that it generally does not function as promoted and is usually a sub-optimal investment strategy.

Some investment advisors who acknowledge the sub-optimality of DCA nevertheless advocate it as a behavioral tool that makes it easier for some investors to start investing a lump sum. They contrast the relative benefits of DCA versus never investing the lump sum.
A 2012 study by Vanguard found that historically investing your money in a lump sum vs. dollar-cost averaging produced better results 66 percent of the time. The longer the time frame, the greater the chance that investing all at once beat dollar-cost averaging, the study found.

Last edited:
Okay, I've read that link you posted which pretty much sums it up. It's up to the individual, you could chance your arm on it and probably be fine... but you might not be!
From the start of this year, the default position will be to treat a US-domiciled ETF as being subject to offshore tax treatment (with income and gains realised on disposals being taxed at 41%, with no offset for losses incurred on the disposal of any other investments).

If it can shown that a particular US ETF does not have a comparable legal structure to an Irish-domiciled fund and is generally not subject to comparable regulatory oversight (which will be difficult to demonstrate IMO), then it can be treated as being outside the offshore fund regime. However, the onus will be on the taxpayer to demonstrate why the US ETF should be subject to the mainstream income tax/CGT regime.

Even if you can find a tax adviser that will give you a positive opinion that a particular US ETF falls outside the offshore tax regime, there is no assurance that Revenue (or the Courts) will agree with that opinion.

Also, shares in a US-domiciled ETF fall within the scope of US estate tax, regardless of your residence for tax purposes.

Finally, US ETFs cannot be marketed to retail investors in Ireland without a specific regulatory document (which to my knowledge no US ETFs produce). That effectively means that you would have to engage a discretionary investment manager to acquire US-domiciled ETFs and that obviously comes at a cost.

I didn't realize the wealth managers Gordon listed would be active investors. I misunderstood. I thought they would be independent and advising people on on going passive.

To quote Woody Allen “ a stockbroker is someone who invests other peoples money until it’s all gone”

Surely a stockbroker just does what an investor tells them to do?
You are thinking of an execution only stockbroking service which is not the same as a discretionary portfolio service provided by a traditional stockbroking firm exactly like the ones listed earlier by someone who then subsequently goes on to claim that nobody mentioned Stockbroking firms exactly like the ones that they themselves listed.

In practice many wealth managers have 3 or 5 model portfolios which they put their clients into and then manage on a discretionary basis. This point may have been made already.

These are generally selected on the basis of a risk assessment (low medium high) and then the client is given the investments that are in that model.

If a clients circumstances are even slightly unusual then the manager has to decide if the portfolio is unsuitable or inappropriate.

We spoke to a U.K. manager who was “managing” a portfolio for a client who had moved to Ireland and asked if any changes needed to be made to the portfolio.

No, they said we are the experts sort of reply.

To which I pointed out that Ireland uses the Euro.

Oh yes well we think that Sterling is going to go up so blather blather answer

I said but you have low risk bond funds hedged to Sterling and the client is in Ireland - surely a Euro hedge is more appropriate.

Ah, yes well you see, we only have Sterling models they finally admitted.

Wealth manager was then replaced with one more suitable

Last edited:
UK based providers can’t service clients in this country anymore because of Brexit.

Plus nobody mentioned giving the money to a stockbroker. That’s a different service, so the Woody Allen quote isn’t really relevant.

Hi All,
I'm completely new here so I'm not familiar with the forums but I think I'm in the right section for this post.
I have recently sold a business, from this sale I will end up with €5 - €6M net to invest after setting aside a little pot for immediate purchases / gifts. I want to make an annual yield of 10% on this. I intend to draw down around €200K per annum from the investment as a wage and allow the rest to build up for further investment. I have borthers who are not involved but who I would like to pay some kind of dividend / wage to over the years also.

I have a few questions

- Has anybody used wealth management services before, do you have any company you would recommend, can you elaborate on the process.
- Is there any reason not to invest all this is commercial & residential property to let out and simply live off the return. Seems to me like this is the obvious choice to achieve a gross yield of 10%.
- Are there any large scale / professional landlords here that I could speak with privately who may be able to save me making the same mistakes they did when they were starting out.
- Has any body else here experience in dealing with a fund like this? Again, I'd love to pick your brain and would appreciate the benefit of your experience to avoid making obvious mistakes.
- Are there other obvious investments with a good return I'm ignoring aside from property that could provide the return I'm looking for.

I understand this seems like a naïve question for someone who has such a large fund available, surely I know by now how to make money with money you say, so I will give you a small bit of background. I'm early 30's, I am not new to business but still have a lot to learn. However, my expertise over the years has been concentrated 100% on the industry I was in. As part of the sale, I can no longer operate in that industry. So I can no longer use my expertise to earn. Therefore, I'm left researching alternative avenues on how to use this money in order to set myself and my immediate family up. The reason I'm thinking property is the way forward is because I already 3 properties which I let out and the gross return on these is above 10%, it's not too much hassle to look after and so it seems like expanding in that sector could be the way forward, especially considering I won't have to borrow for any property I purchase.

I know it's a long post, thanks for reading and I appreciate anyone taking the time to give some advice.
Hi Always Learning,

What did you do in the end?

Regards,

G

Back