We need to manage our national finances more prudently.

The numbers are what they are. *Why* they are like that, whether people should try harder, etc. are valid questions but that's a different debate. The numbers show that there is a sizeable self-reproducing underclass in Ireland and this underpins many problems from unemployment and drug abuse to crime.
Yes but they like the rest of us have the "choice " to either live like you described above or try and get an education and better yourself.

There are very few " barriers " for anyone to get out of the mire in Ireland, in fact I know of one teacher who teaches in Neilstown and every year his hope is that the class from the previous year come back.......sadly it never happens

This paper from the Parliamentary Budget Office discusses the consequences of Ireland’s dual economy - “a global, export-oriented multi-national sector and a more domestically oriented, labour-intensive sector dominated by small and medium-sized enterprise (SMEs).”

In fact, the vast majority of enterprises (92.4%) in Ireland are micro, each employing less than 10 people.

The CSO breakdown of the business demography in Ireland for 2020 is:

Number of Enterprises by employment size class
MicroUnder 10
257,555​
92.4%​
Small10-19
10,981​
3.9%​
Small20-49
6,439​
2.3%​
Medium50-249
3,221​
1.2%​
Large250 and over
666​
0.2%​

No matter what metric is used, multi-national businesses outperform domestic businesses even where they operate in the same economic sector.

“Before the pandemic, multi-national companies were already a key driver of tax receipts.

In 2019, multinational companies were responsible for:
  • 27% of all employment
  • 45% of all income tax receipts, and
  • were liable to pay 79% of corporation Tax.
The pandemic increased the divide between multi-nationals and SMEs.

In 2020 multinational companies accounted for:
  • 32% of employment
  • 49% of employment taxes and
  • 82% of corporation taxes.
Whereas corporation tax payments from SMEs were down 40% in 2020.”

Although there is concentration on Corporation Tax receipts, multi-nationals also accounted for 49% of PAYE receipts.

The paper goes on to explain the difficulties facing SMEs.

“A key challenge is boosting innovation and productivity levels. Overall, the World Economic Forum’s index of international competitiveness sees Ireland ranked 24 out of 141 countries.

Denmark, Finland and New Zealand, similar countries to Ireland, were some of the top performing economies. This is the competitiveness context the Irish SMEs are operating against, both a vibrant multi-national sector in Ireland and a very competitive international environment.

This is important as an OECD report finds that Irish SMEs are not very active in international markets, and SME productivity growth is stagnant.

There are weaknesses in SME management skills, capital investment levels and technology adoption. Access to finance and skills shortage are also issues.”
The final two paragraphs are important but has anyone here ever tried to fill out an Enterprise Ireland grant application? It's so difficult many say " **** that" and try and raise funds elsewhere.

We need to start giving proper seed capital to young companies earlier than the entrepreneurs " remortgage their parents or their own home.

The OECD report was commissioned by Heather Humphries in 2018, so she, at least, understood the global challenges facing Ireland’s SMEs and the risk associated with the imbalance in the Irish economy.

She subsequently set up an SME Task Force. This is its , which contains a series of key deliverables and recommendations.

A table of the recommendations is on page 48 to end.

There are very few " barriers " for anyone to get out of the mire in Ireland,
Formal barriers you are correct but it's a cultural problem. There are families where nobody has been working for generations, parent(s) on various drugs, crap nutrition, no books, no intellectual stimulation, no parental expectations or aspirations, not even a laptop, etc etc. Some kids manage to break out of that but it's very few. Most middle class kids by contrast make it to university no mattter how thick they are.

Formal barriers you are correct but it's a cultural problem. There are families where nobody has been working for generations, parent(s) on various drugs, crap nutrition, no books, no intellectual stimulation, no parental expectations or aspirations, not even a laptop, etc etc. Some kids manage to break out of that but it's very few. Most middle class kids by contrast make it to university no mattter how thick they are.
None of that is unique to Ireland, but it is not the "root cause" of our economic difficulties.

Well you're not getting into university if your "thick" ,you appear to have a chip on your shoulder about university entrance or are you trying to say something else.

The other stuff is not the responsibility of the state or society, everything is available to those who are willing to make the effort.

These people who live like you describe deserve nothing extra, and I mean nothing, and they certainly aren't equal to anyone who has made a better life for themselves and families.

And history and the present, is littered with people who despite the challenges rose up and bettered themselves some are even billionaires.

Its time for the cohort you describe to be treated as what they have become a burden on society, Government and the well being of honest people, whose tax money is spent on these people and they themselves are struggling, where's the help for a family with 2 working and bringing in €1000 or less a week, with a mortgage, childcare?

Those with little ambition or social responsibility will still have houses, and money every week.

And finally I'm not saying that all people with difficulties to be cast aside, but the state has multiple agencies to help those, if they are willing, but the state cannot do everything either.

And I'll guarantee you this, if those people showed willingness to change their lives and in somes cases desperate situations the entire country would rally around and support them ,but the first step is their's.

Last edited:
but has anyone here ever tried to fill out an Enterprise Ireland grant application? It's so difficult many say " **** that" and try and raise funds elsewhere.
But if it means receiving valuable grant assistance, why would you not take the trouble or hire an accountant that specializes in the field? You have to start as you mean to go on and not fall at the first hurdle.

It appears that there are circa 80 different grants available. A business might qualify for several if it positioned itself properly. There are also grants available from the EU.

Does that also apply to their young children?
That's their decision and I don't want to see children suffer for the mistakes of their parents.

However, if the State intervened to help the welfare of those children could you imagine the outcry, Joe Duffy would be handling thousands of calls a minute, no matter who you are , what background you come from, no matter your problems you must love your children and do the best for them and them only.

The second a child is born, you become second and that's a lifetime, usually yours and if you can't do that someone else should. And having children should not be an economic decision or a means to get a house, or or or........

And I know a lot of single parents who go to work every day not for themselves but for their children and those children's future.

I fear we have gone off topic.

There are weaknesses in SME management skills, capital investment levels and technology adoption. Access to finance and skills shortage are also issues.”
That’s very true. Irish companies are very bad at sweating capital. Even our tech start up’s are usually looking for a quick sale and exit for the founders.
We don’t have the capital investment levels of the Germans or the VC culture of the Americans.
I don’t accept that these issues are the root cause of our under employment levels. I think that has more to do with a post colonial mindset and an extremely generous welfare system that enabled such a mindset. It’s also a post catholic thing; we spent so long trying to be good Christian’s that we never managed to learn to be good citizens.

It is about increasing productivity, increasing exports, increasing skills and knowledge, embracing digital technology and low carbon and the steps we take to achieve it.

The economy is essentially about exchequer in/exchequer out.

What we take in taxes determines our spending.

At present, we are over-reliant on multi-nationals for our tax take.

Subtract them and we are reliant on indigenous enterprises, which are mostly micro.

How do we increase the tax take of indigenous enterprises to anything like the same level as multi-nationals

It’s not about anything else.

We have to ditch the past and concentrate on the present and the future.

Last edited:
That’s very true. Irish companies are very bad at sweating capital. Even our tech start up’s are usually looking for a quick sale and exit for the founders.
We don’t have the capital investment levels of the Germans or the VC culture of the Americans.
I don’t accept that these issues are the root cause of our under employment levels. I think that has more to do with a post colonial mindset and an extremely generous welfare system that enabled such a mindset. It’s also a post catholic thing; we spent so long trying to be good Christian’s that we never managed to learn to be good citizens.
And don't forget begrudgers who will talk about behind your back and clap your back down the pub, hoping to get a free pint.

If we could find a cure for that we'd be some country.

Because it's the real crisis in this country, try and get on and the begrudgers will try and take the legs from beneath you.

It's the Irish way....its like the book" The begrudgers guide to Irelands politics"....Find it and read it, if not PM me and I'll post it .

If I am a successful business person, do you think I give a fiddlers about begrudges?

That is just a distraction that has nothing to do with the risks facing the Irish economy.

If I am a successful business person, do you think I give a fiddlers about begrudges?

That is just a distraction that has nothing to do with the risks facing the Irish economy.
Congratulations if you are, but I doubt very much that you haven't encountered it.

The Irish economy and the risks facing it aren't to do with begrudgers alone, but they are a factor, like a multitude of other non economic issues.

And as an open economy with full exposure to the economic winds from Europe and the US theres very little that can be done to when those winds howl

Last edited:
Back