We have all been massively wronged and should protest

Agree. It is amazing that so many TDs have so little understanding of the costs of leaving Anglo sink.

The Labour Party have little understanding of economics apart from Sean Sherlock.

There are some very simple truths that I am not sure everyone in Ireland has grasped.

The Govt are to blame, but not solely to blame, the real "Golden Circle" of the banks, regulators, developers, local councils, unions all have to take their share of the blame as well. In addition, many people in Ireland got greedy and thought the good times would never end. I've no sympathy for anyone who spent a fortune on credit on plasma TVs, 4x4s etc and now are struggling to pay it back and I've even less sympathy for gamblers who bought buy to let properties on 100% mortgages, sometimes interest only. They gambled, they lost, they need to deal with it.

There is no way out of this current mess without it costing the nation billions, whatever the option, whether it is NAMA, closing Anglo, nationalising the banks, whatever, it's going to cost billions. The opposition can "oppose" all they like, where are their properly costed alternatives?. I'm not aware of them and if they are there, then they suck at getting their message across

The only way to pay for all of this is to raise taxes now and into the future. I don't believe any of the opposition parties have had the ***** to come out and actually say exactly how they would do this, what the impact on my income tax bill and on indirect taxes would be. Shame on them. The Govt reduced the tax take by too much and spent too much money on unearned pay rises, how many of us can truthfully say we didn't agree with it?. Let's be honest, we all liked having more in our paypacket

If we want to transform the Dail and do away with parochialism in it, then the only way to do that is to give local Councils more power, including the means to raise funding, probably via property taxes. Having said that, I think it is important that those who are in the Dail do not lose touch with the views and issues people have "back home".

The probability is that many of the people who got us into this mess will never face criminal charges because they may not have actually broken the law. That's the Govt's fault for not having adequate regulation in place. It should be a cardinal aim of all political parties to prevent a reoccurance and shame on all the politicians from all sides who were too scared to stand up and support the regulator over Quinn. We shouldn't forget what the buffoons who got us into this mess have done, nor should we not try to convict them, but let's not become obsessed by it. We need to get on with more important things like our childrens future

You said the one TD per 30,000 requirement was regulary breached. When?
Is there any chance we could stick to the real world for this discussion. What I actually said was "At various times due to population changes, the one TD per 30k limit was way out" and I gave you one particular example. Dublin South is due to take some space from Dun Laoghaire, as DL loses one TD this time round. Feel free to check out other constituency boundary changes or changes to number of TDs to see where the ratios have been breached.
1° Dáil Éireann shall be composed of members who represent constituencies determined by law. 2° The number of members shall from time to time be fixed by law, but the total number of members of Dáil Éireann shall not be fixed at less than one member for each thirty thousand of the population, or at more than one member for each twenty thousand of the population.
3° The ratio between the number of members to be elected at any time for each constituency and the population of each constituency, as ascertained at the last preceding census, shall, so far as it is practicable, be the same throughout the country.

Read the words. 'total number of members' and 'members to be elected'. This has nothing to do with resignations. Resignations have no impact on these articles.
Good luck trying to get the President to sign in any law if half the seats in the Dail were not filled.

Good luck in trying to get Mary Mc to go against her Fianna Fail gene pool. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
An election would have to be called.

You can keep repeating it as often as you like, but it has no basis in reality.

Agree. It is amazing that so many TDs have so little understanding of the costs of leaving Anglo sink.

The Labour Party have little understanding of economics apart from Sean Sherlock.
Right, so the one party that highlighted the potential risk to the State of covering irresponsible lending BEFORE the guarantee was put in place is the one you single out for 'little understanding of economics' (excluding your local hero of course). How does that make sense? I suppose you prefer the Clowenomics approach of creating pyramid schemes and praying that the bubble doesn't burst?

The only way to pay for all of this is to raise taxes now and into the future. I don't believe any of the opposition parties have had the ***** to come out and actually say exactly how they would do this, what the impact on my income tax bill and on indirect taxes would be. Shame on them.
Shame on you for not bothering to Google. From [broken link removed] (albeit 18 months old)
- A new 48% tax rate should be introduced for those earning over €100,000.

Shame on you for not bothering to Google. From [broken link removed] (albeit 18 months old)

world has changed a lot in 18 months and I'd lile to think that they would have revisited polices since then.As I said, shame on them for not getting their message across, after all, they are the ones looking for my vote, or perhaps they have a reason for not stating this too publicaly :rolleyes:. Maybe I am becoming too cynical in my old age

world has changed a lot in 18 months and I'd lile to think that they would have revisited polices since then.As I said, shame on them for not getting their message across, after all, they are the ones looking for my vote, or perhaps they have a reason for not stating this too publicaly :rolleyes:. Maybe I am becoming too cynical in my old age
Or maybe you are falling into the trap that you accuse others of falling into - blaming everyone else and not taking personal responsibility?

Or maybe you are falling into the trap that you accuse others of falling into - blaming everyone else and not taking personal responsibility?

Quite possible, after all, I also happily took my tax reductions and increase in value in my house and didn't complain about it at the time. Hindsight is indeed wonderful.

Back