Waterville v's Ashtown

N

nutty

Hi,

I am thinking of buying either a 2 bed apartment in waterville in blanchardstown or a 1 bed in ashtown (rathbourne, compass court). I plan to live there but also want the potential to rent out the property if required. Any advice on living / renting property in these locations? also which would be the better long term investment?

i am a blanch man all my life and am very impressed with waterville and i like blanch area a lot
i reckon you get better value for money with waterville i have seen inside both apartments and waterville are better sized and cheaper

although ashtown is nearer town and on a train line although that train is usually full by castleknock nevermind ashtown

i think waterville is being lauched in spetember 06 new phase called bantry square
personnaly i would go for waterville and might even do so depending on the price

good luck

Bantry Square went on sale late last year, the next phase (I think)is Erris Square. They are lovely apartments, very spacious. The 3 bed duplexes are huge, bigger than your average semi-D!

yeah sorry it is erris square launching in september 2006......no prices as of yet HOK are agents and some info is up on there website.

the only problem with blanch is the traffic especially on a sunday afternoon with the shopping centre open....have people really nothing better to do on a sunday afternnon then go shopping with the kids?

Yeah, the traffic is what put me off from buying in Waterville, I did'nt fancy getting up at 6.30 each morning just to beat the traffic.

i dont mind the morning so much its sunday afternoon that really pisses me off

check daft for the rental values, the one bed in rathborne will probably pull in about 900-1000, don't know about waterville. Someone mentioned the train for travelling in from ashtown and they're right, it is normally pretty packed, but it's still accessible - probably the main advantage of ashtown is the bus services are pretty good too, and will only take 25 odd minutes into city centre (from the estate itself or the navan road).
It is a bit of a trade-off though one bedroom vs 2, although the rathborne units i've seen are pretty spacious, well built and designed (I've a few mates living there - no sound problems or anything like that).

From a person who used to live near waterville trying to commute to the city cwnetre I would say get a 2 bed on the other side of the m50 if you can! its not snobbery its waterville is lovely its just the commute---really horrible!

I live in compass court south - its way better than Waterville. I work just up in ballycoolin so waterville would have been handier for me as its 2 minutes down the snugborugh road, however Compass court south is only 10 minutes if you come up by Cappagh Hospital anyway.

Royal canal park is a great area, we get a free gym membership, great bus service, loads of parking, near train station, cant hear neighbours in their apartments, good security.. blanch is too far from town and the traffic is a nightmare, plus i highly doubt waterville offer the same perks as royal canal park.

Be warned of the lack of good broadband in the area of royal canal park though. Eircom havent updated their exchanges and you cant get wireless.
The only service is a rip off thing called cable watch which is 40 euros a month and only offers a half meg line (which with a 20:1 connection ratio means the fastest download speed you are likely to get is 50kbps)

Back