Watertank Noisy When Refilling

Nationaldude

Hi all,

Our water tank makes an awful noise when refilling, whether we put on the dish washer. washing machine or even take a shower the noise is deafening. I've jumped up into the attic and had a look and everything seems to be ok (although something obviously must be amiss) I've lifted the pipes off the attic floor with my hand and the noise subsides but it comes back.

Any ideas what i should be checking or is there an obvious solution that i don't know about?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you have Water Hammer occurring in your mains supply to your Cold Water storage cistern. This water hammer is caused by vibrating unclipped pipework that is rattling the pipe excessively and making noise. Make sure that this mains pipe is clipped and that it is not attached to any other pipe as that will transfer this noise to other sections of you plumbing network.
It may also be a faulty ballcock in the cistern that is unable to handle the usual pressures associated with mains supply services.

Thanks villa 1,

When you say a faulty ballcock what exactly would "faulty" be? Too big, too small, loose???

I'll check the pipes again when i go home as far as i remember they aren't clipped down they're just resting on the joists.

thanks again.

There may be too large a nylon oriface fitted in the ballcock leading to a noisy aggressive filling action.

U migth check if there is insulation also up around the tank as that will help reduce the noise level

Back