Watergate Tallaght - what's this particular estate like? Close to the park

dubdub123

Hi , i'm looking to purchase in D24 and have looked in parts of Old Bawn , Firhouse and Aylesbury and still looking... There's a property in Watergate in a sortof cul-de-sac however you can walk through it to the sean walsh park. Have been in that park many times, but not in the dark in recent years.

Any thoughts on the estate? specifically allowing teenage daughter to walk home ? Do youths tend to congregate in the park? I have family in Old Bawn but in a different estate so any feedback would be appreciated.

Can't comment on the estate but not too keen on the park even during the day. Don't think its a good idea to let your daughter walk through any park in Dublin late at night.

When you look at certain houses seem to crop up for sale which would ring alarm bells for me.

They may be a lot more expensive but some of the better estates in Tallaght are seen as Belgard Heights, Kingswood and Kilnamanagh.

You could try having a word with one of the Community Gardai and see if they can give you some info.

OK thanks. There's an entrance to the estate from the old bawn road but while it's technically a "cul-de-sac" in that no cars can go through , the end of the lane leads directly into the park and I'd be concerned about that. And I'd be concerned that my daughter might not be street smart enough to understand the risks of a park and may use it as a cut through. I'm very familiar with Aylesbury and other parts of Old Bawn and they are not impacted by the park but this particular location concerns me.

I am also looking at dodder valley in firhouse off the firhouse road . It's still within half hour walk of family in old bawn but feels a much more well lit route.

good suggestion about contacting the community gardai - might give them a shout to get some feedback.

This is a big move for us and it's myself (female) and 2 teenagers so safety, security are big concerns.

Hi , i'm looking to purchase in D24 and have looked in parts of Old Bawn , Firhouse and Aylesbury and still looking... There's a property in Watergate in a sortof cul-de-sac however you can walk through it to the sean walsh park. Have been in that park many times, but not in the dark in recent years.

Any thoughts on the estate? specifically allowing teenage daughter to walk home ? Do youths tend to congregate in the park? I have family in Old Bawn but in a different estate so any feedback would be appreciated.
My closest colleague at work lives there. Its absolutely lovely and the people there are a bit older and "mature", so it should be ok.

OK thanks. There's an entrance to the estate from the old bawn road but while it's technically a "cul-de-sac" in that no cars can go through , the end of the lane leads directly into the park and I'd be concerned about that. And I'd be concerned that my daughter might not be street smart enough to understand the risks of a park and may use it as a cut through. I'm very familiar with Aylesbury and other parts of Old Bawn and they are not impacted by the park but this particular location concerns me.

I am also looking at dodder valley in firhouse off the firhouse road . It's still within half hour walk of family in old bawn but feels a much more well lit route.

good suggestion about contacting the community gardai - might give them a shout to get some feedback.

This is a big move for us and it's myself (female) and 2 teenagers so safety, security are big concerns.
Don't be at all worried about that. My mate's aunt takes their dogs out for a walk every morning at 5am so I'd say its harmless enough if an older woman can walk her dogs alone there at 5am! Best of luck with it.

Great, thanks for the feedback ! Trying to cover all angles to make sure it's the right move. Appreciate the feedback !

"Don't be at all worried about that. My mate's aunt takes their dogs out for a walk every morning at 5am so I'd say its harmless enough if an older woman can walk her dogs alone there at 5am! Best of luck with it."

I doubt if any of the undesirables would be out of bed at 5am! Probably safe enough for walking dogs and perhaps that's the best time of the day to avoid them!

"Don't be at all worried about that. My mate's aunt takes their dogs out for a walk every morning at 5am so I'd say its harmless enough if an older woman can walk her dogs alone there at 5am! Best of luck with it."

I doubt if any of the undesirables would be out of bed at 5am! Probably safe enough for walking dogs and perhaps that's the best time of the day to avoid them!
They absolutely LOVE living there & I've a second colleague who once lived or still live in the estate plus two others who lived in estate beside it. They are all nice people (fairly ordinary, its not a fancy area), and they don't ever talk about any issues so I presume its fine.

You could try having a word with one of the Community Gardai and see if they can give you some info.
I can't see this being of much help. They're not going to tell you anything that you can't get on Google. And if they are telling you something not in the public domain, I'd be questioning their reliability.

If it were me, I'd take a walk down there of a dry Friday/Saturday night and see what activity goes on.

I can't see this being of much help. They're not going to tell you anything that you can't get on Google. And if they are telling you something not in the public domain, I'd be questioning their reliability.

If it were me, I'd take a walk down there of a dry Friday/Saturday night and see what activity goes on.

Down through the years I've often had a word with the Community Garda and they are very helpful with general advice and support.

Back