Water Supply Problem.

Markove

Hello. We were recently left completely without water due to a burst main in the locality. It was a major and lengthy repair taking from last Friday night until Monday. The supply has now been fully restored - according to the local authority - but, as yet, there is no cold water in the bathroom upstairs with barely a trickle from the cold tap. The electric shower cannot be used and the toilet is not emptying fully when flushed. The dwelling is a duplex apartment (upper levels). Is there anything I can do or check before calling a plumber? Thank you .

Check if the ballcock is stuck in position. Unlikely to be that simple.

There was probably some dirt in the water when it was restored that's blocked the ballcock valve. Turn off the mains, and Google how to clean ballcock valve. Straight forward if you've a large vice grips to open it.

You most likely have an airlock. This is air getting in between the tank and your tap basically or before the tank. Unless your handy at finding the stopcocks and have the right tools I'd call a plumber. If the pressure is down then the water will not fill the tank up either though.

I checked the tank in the attic and it's full so I presume that would indicate an airlock somewhere. Anyway, I have a plumber arriving in the morning so we'll see.

Back