Water softener or water mains frozen?

pator

Hi,

I am trying to work out if it is my water softener that is frozen or the water from the mains.

Basically have no water.

I poured very hot water over the outside tap (just on wall under kitchen window) and no water came from that either.
Is this enough to indidcate that it is the mains that is frozen?

We also have a problem with lack of mains water. Tank not filling though ball cock is loose and no water at kitchen sink.

If this is outside how do we go about rectifying or do we just wait for the inevitable broken pipe?

Should the council be notified. It is only our house, neighbours are all fine.

Heating has been on constantly for a week so we are confident the problem is outside.

Thanks for your help

Pator,

I have a water softener system under my kitchen window - we had no water coming from the kitchen cold water taps twice so far in the morning over the past two weeks.

I solved the problem with three hair dryers blowing hot air on the pipes outside - got the water flowing again in about 20 mins.

The outside tap usually thaws first - open it as do this - direct the dryers at the pipes connectors on the system - this should work.

I have now covered up the whole area with old towels to give some insulation from the frost until a better job can be completed.

Hi, I am a new user so not sure where to post this. We have cold water coming to our outside tap but no water coming to the kitchen sink or to the tank in the attic. Luckily I can run a hose from the outside tap to the tank but I am a bit confused in that if I turn off the stopcock outside the house the water to the outside tap stops but how can the water get to the outside tap and not the sink or tank? Different feed?

I am having a similar problem. My attic tank is empty. No water is coming from my kitchen tap. I have been trying to thaw the water at the inlet but no joy. This is the second day.

I am trying to narrow down where the problem is from.

If the mains are frozen, what is the solution.

Can someone explain the mechanism of the ball cock to me please and also will the empty attic tank stop the kitchen tap from also not working?

Good news,
I just used the hair dryer style and my cold water is back

Hi osheat,

Maybe you should try the same method. I think there must be blockage between your mains and the kitchen due to frozen pipes. all the best

No good - I cant see anything in-house that could be frozen, appears to be under the footpath on way in to house.

Back