WATER SITUATION

Spinalonga is a relatively small island just off Crete. It is one of the most arid places in the world. In the 1920's the Greek Government housed all its lepers on the island. When the rest of Greece barely had enough wells to supply water, Spinalonga was give running water in the homes of the lepers and hospital etc. The natural water was stored (and still is) in large underground caverns where the water was purified by limestone slabs. You've got to hand it to lepers. They married within the island had children who did not have leprosy and were handed to childless couples on the mainland for adoption.

Ireland has too much water, too little lepers (except for this forum). We have so much water we could supply the rest of the world quite easily. And we waste the stuff, fail to store it,we try to charge people for it. Then there's Irish Water - God Save Us from Irish Waste-the-Lot-Water. Close it before it does more damage and bring in a few Greeks who'll resolve our water problems with a few caves and some limestone slabs. Better again, bring in a few Dutch people too. They'll get our water act together once and for all.

And we waste the stuff, fail to store it,we try to charge people for it.

There is a method in this madness. Defund, allow to decay, do not invest, allow for crisis to occur, call to privatise, charge fees, makes for tidy profits.

There is a method in this madness. Defund, allow to decay, do not invest, allow for crisis to occur, call to privatise, charge fees, makes for tidy profits.

I think it's more simple than that, we Irish don't like paying for stuff that we don't see, we prefer to pay ourselves high wages and not invest in infrastructure especially infrastructure that goes under the ground like water and sewers. Repairing and replacing existing sewers and water pipes is dirty hard work. Therefore the Irish solution is to put a big new water pipe across green fields from the Shannon rather than to fix the leaks in Dublin which are underneath houses and roads. We are still depending to a large extent on infrastructure put there by the British.

It's also why we prefer to build housing estates on green fields in kildare and Meath rather than redeveloping underused Brown field sites in Dublin. There are vast underused industrial areas in Dublin.

If I want to know about Meghan Markle's new haircut, what Harry Kane has for breakfast or the latest shenanigans on Love Island, the Irish Mirror will be bang on the money. For weather, I choose professional meteorologists.
In fairness to them they are also excellent at telling us how we are all going to be over run with immigrants and generally stoking racism and fear.

Im just curious to know why the restrictions are on during the night time? Surely this is the time when water usage is at its lowest?
So for instance in my house last night, nobody used any water between 11:30pm last night until 7am this morning.
What is the point of restrictions when the water isnt being used anyway?
I can only assume it is to minimise the water being lost through underground pipes?

Im just curious to know why the restrictions are on during the night time? Surely this is the time when water usage is at its lowest?
So for instance in my house last night, nobody used any water between 11:30pm last night until 7am this morning.
What is the point of restrictions when the water isnt being used anyway?
I can only assume it is to minimise the water being lost through underground pipes?

That's what I assumed also... it may not impact most people but IW doesn't seem to care about apartment dwellers (we're always being told by the government you're foolish for preferring a house) or shift workers.

If you live in an apartment development that is relying on mains pressure to maintain a supply to upper floors, then perhaps you're a second class citizen by choice. :D Mains head in Dublin is only about 12m much of the time.

That would supply up to what, 2nd floor? So probably taller developments have additional pumps but possible that 3 storey developments could have issues?

That would supply up to what, 2nd floor? So probably taller developments have additional pumps but possible that 3 storey developments could have issues?

Yeah, taller developments will need to use a pumped supply to feed upper floors to provide the minimum pressure required to run washing machines, dishwashers, etc.

Some of the attic conversion companies even warn that water supply to an attic over a standard 2-storey house may not be feasible without pressurising.

Back