water pipes making noise

Just the One

Every time I let hot or cold water out of the sink in the ensuite the pipes start making noise like they are contracting?

Is there anything I can do about this.... not usually a problem except when you are trying to sneak out of the house without waking the others.

The problem you have is called water hammer, Its to do with the pressure of the water and the sudden stop when you turn off a tap. the problem can be worse if you have lever taps as they turn off in one movent as opposed to normal screw down taps that close in turns. It you have access to pipes it would be a good idea to clip them to stop the movement. You don't say if your plumbing water is pumped?

The problem you have is called water hammer, Its to do with the pressure of the water and the sudden stop when you turn off a tap. the problem can be worse if you have lever taps as they turn off in one movent as opposed to normal screw down taps that close in turns. It you have access to pipes it would be a good idea to clip them to stop the movement. You don't say if your plumbing water is pumped?

thanks for the reply however, it only seems to happen when I let water out of sink. I have filled the sink and all is fine. once I take the plug out of the sink and srain the water the noise/clanging starts to happen.

I don't have the water pumped and I don't think it is to do with pressure and turning taps on/off.

You need to look at the trap under the sink, take it off if you can and bring it to a plumbing merchant and ask for an anti-siphonage type trap of the same size, that will solve your problem!

Back